Search This Blog

Sunday 26 November 2023

Y is for youth

Library of the State Scool Library Service, Uyo, Nigeria 1973

 When I was young I never thought about being old.  I'm older now than my grandmother was when I was born but she always seemed very old to me so I suppose I seem very old to the children around me now.

I think I made the most of my youth.  George Bernard Shaw said that youth is wasted on the young but I don't think so. 

One of the most exciting things I did as a young woman was to go to Nigeria on Voluntary Service Overseas.  I was a newly qualified librarian when I flew to Lagos in September 1973 to help set up school libraries in the area which had seen the Civil War just a few years earlier.  Schools had been commandeered as army camps by both sides and such libraries as there had been, had been looted.  I helped set up a model library and train library assistants who had never seen a library until they were employed to run one!

My VSO came to a very abrupt end in September 1974 when I was in a motorcycle crash and I had to be repatriated.

5 comments:

  1. VSO always sounded like a great experience. Sorry about the crash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exciting youth then, well done you. I was a student nurse in the 60s and loved it and am still in touch with some of the 'girls' I trained with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so exciting and a wonderful way to spend part of ones youth.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting adventure, one of just many I am sure. Well, except for the motorcycle crash. I would love to hear more because I am sure it is a story of a life well lived. And you aren’t old — remember, I am older yet! And yes, to young people I seem old too, they have told me — I think our Girl Scouts thinks they are in the company of actual antiquity when I am around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exciting adventure, setting up libraries in Africa. I am a retired librarian and I used to say "I am getting old" and I now say with a smile "I have achieved old."

    ReplyDelete