Search This Blog

Monday 20 November 2023

V is for Village (now updated)

 

According to people who were born here, I live in a town.  According to incomers I live in a village.  Because I was stuck for V, for the purposes of this blog post, I'm calling Caistor a village.  Sorry, Caistorians.  T was for Treats. 
Roman wall

Caistor has been here quite a long time and its centre is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, being the site of a Roman encampment.  The only "Roman" bit which can be seen today is a smallish heap of stones which looks rather like a rockery.

The Gad Whip
This heap of stones is just to the south of the church of St Peter and St Paul.  The oldest parts of that date only to around 1050.  Inside the church there is a curious article called the Gad Whip.  Until 1846 each Palm Sunday the whip was waved three times over the head of the parson during the second reading at Mattins.  There's more about this peculiar ceremony here.  There are well over fifty listed buildings in Caistor, a significant number for such a small place but most are Georgian or Victorian.  

There's quite a lot going on here.  We have a Civic Society, a Women's Institute, Brownies, Rainbows, sports clubs, amateur dramatics and social events for everyone.  Volunteers keep the place looking wonderful both with flowers on the summer and lights and displays around Christmas.  

When I retired I had to choose somewhere to live and I wanted somewhere that was friendly with things to do.  I think I chose well

I understand there is a problem with the link to the Gad whip,  It can be found at https://caistorparishchurch.co.uk/history/  Scroll down and you will find it!

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great community. I can't make the Gad Whip link work though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get the link to works but it sounds a very strange ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been quite something! I've added a new link

      Delete
  3. We live in a village, which has been engulfed by the town, but we still try and keep village life here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you chose very well. We lived in a village when first married, and if there was 500 people living there that would be pushing it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good place to live, so some more photos of it please?

    ReplyDelete