Search This Blog

Thursday 2 November 2023

Questions and answers

 I'm going to take a few posts to answer questions starting with one from Jackie.



How did you and Jack meet?

When I was working, my vicarage had a coal fire in the sitting room and Jack had a side-line as a chimney sweep.  That's how we met originally but, as I am sure you realise, nothing is straightforward with Jack.

As he was leaving the first time he told me he always gave a present to his customers.  The first time it was a tin of shoe polish but  subsequent gifts included Winnie -the-Pooh sticking plasters, rum flavoured bubble bath and a bunch of carrots with a knife to scrape them.

Soon after that first visit I went to see an elderly gentlman whose wife had just died and there was a familiar face in the corner.  The funeral was for Jack's mum.

Jack continued as my chimney sweep for as long as I lived in that house but one day I came home and found him waiting to talk to me.  His daughter wanted to get married in the same church in which Jack and Mrs Jack had been married.  I explained the procedure and we shared a cuppa before he left.

As he was leaving he said, "Your garden looks a mess!" so I said, "If you think it looks a mess you do something about it."  And he's been looking after me ever since.  

I conducted the wedding of both his daughter and his son, and the funerals of both his parents and his brother.  Sadly Mrs Jack died during the first lockdown and I wasn't allowed to take her funeral but I did write something for another minister to read.

Bereavement is always hard but it was especially hard during lockdown when the usual sources of support weren't avaiable so I tool to phoning him each morning and we still talk most mornings.

I still make lists for him.  But then again, I still make bacon butties and leek soup for him.  So he shouldn't complain,

But he will.  Even though I gave him a hat labelled "Horticultural Enhancer".

9 comments:

  1. I noted the cute garden hat and then read the post. The hat is a gift from you, that explains it. This is a nice story of how you met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, friends find each other sometimes in the strangest of ways. I really enjoyed this story of how you met and how your friendship grew.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would seem to be unlikely friends but friends we are!

      Delete
  3. He seems such a good person to have come into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Jack are such fun! I love reading posts about him and from him and I just love the way you write. I am so glad Elizabeth paired us as PE pals years ago — not great at penpaling but like to think of you as my dear, UK, Anglican clergy friend with a great talent for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is supposed to say Pen Pal not PE

      Delete
    2. Ssh! You'll turn his head! And thank you.

      Delete