Search This Blog

Friday 17 November 2023

U is for UFOs

 Show me some one who has no UFOs and I'll show you someone who isn't a crafter!

UFOs (UnFinished Objects) or PhDs (Projects half Done) seem to be an inevitable part of being creative..  

There's the garment cast on but only the back and half the front actually knitted.  I started a jumper in 2018, shoved it in a drawer and when I got it out a few weeks ago I discovered a hole, maybe moth, more likely mechanical damage.  I pulled it down completely as it was knitted on a circular needle and I'm trying again with a different pattern.

I started a patchwork quilt in 1975.  It was intended to be for a single bed but it's now heading for king size.  In a couple of years it will reach its Golden Jubilee.  Maybe that's a good target for finishing it.  

Then there's the stash of fabric and wool just waiting to be used:  sometimes it's materials bought for a project which never materialised or just as often, it's stuff kept "just in case". 

But I am now sharing with you one object which is no longer unfinished.  Two years ago I started my temperature scarf, knitting one row for each day and using a different colour for each degreee celsius.  I started on my seventieth birthday and finished the day before I was 72.

MyPhD has now graduated.



12 comments:

  1. Well done, its very pretty, did you honestly use a colour to suit the temperature, or just a colour? Did you have the wool or did you have to buy new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall the colours suited the temperature ie I started with black for very cold, worked through blue, green, yellow, red and pink to white for that very ht day n 2022. I bought the wool espcially for the project and have a lot left which I am thinking about how to use it. I decided it was worth spending money and I bought good quality wool and planned the whole thing.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got the scarf finished - it's very pretty.
    I don't have any UFO's at the mo but have several NYS's (Not yet started!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So next time you do an alphabet you've goy N sorted! Yes?

      Delete
  3. Such an appropriate post as I have a UFO sitting right next to me, calling my name and I continue to choose to ignore it! Maybe your post will spur me on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always UFOs sitting around in this house!

      Delete
  4. Your scarf turned out beautifully. I have projects that I've failed to start other than noting I want to tackle them some day. An example - a barn quilt (wood painted as a quilt). I have planks set aside in the barn but that's as far as I've gotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look forward to seeing that! I've never heard of barn quilts.

      Delete
  5. Very nice scarf. I did temperature blankets, but I like your idea much better. Lots of projects started here and this year I am really tackling them. I also have some projects that I want to start.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete