Search This Blog

Friday 3 November 2023

More answers: disability

 Elizabeth in Cornwall asked, "With your 'truck', do you find that people are less or more helpful nowadays? And what about accessibility in general?" 

I love my truck!  Most people call them mobility scooters but that sounds so dreary that mine is my trundle truck.

I'm on truck number three.  They last about six years before their reliability becomes doubtful.  I replace the batteries after about three years.  My "Rascal" was paid for largely by a grant from a charity for decrepit Anglican clergy and I was very grateful as scooters are nearly £2000 each time I need one.  I have a car with a ramp so together the TT and I can go places.  

It's a freedom which I really value.  Maybe you can walk anywhere you want.  Maybe you don't have to plan your activities as a disabled person living in an able-bodied world.  I don't want much help and I value my independence and TT means I can do so much more.

I'd like to be able to do even more.  I'd like to travel by rail but Network Rail allows only very small scooters.  They are more accommodating for wheelchairs.  Most public transport is the same which means that only accompanied people can use it and I usually travel alone.  

I use a Blue Badge, not because I need to park very close to stores etc, but because I need to open my car dor fully.  Occasionally I hear people sounding off about this privilege but I have been known to tell someone, "Yes I agree it's very unfair.  I would give you my disabiity if I could but I can't so I am very sorry."

For the most part people are very good about offering assistance.  In shops they will offer to get things from high shelves.  Friends and strangers alike will carry hot drinks or trays for me in cafes.  Doors will be opened so I can ride through. 

My biggest problem can be fending off inappropriate help.  People grab hold of me without asking what sort of help I need.  I find that annoying and, to be honest, disrespectful.  We don't grab people without their permission except in an emergency and I resent being treated as an inevitable emergency.  If you grab my right arm when I am walking you run the risk of both of us tripping as you will be depriving me of the ability to control my stick and it will become a trip hazard.  If you ask me if I need help I will explain what I need or I will thank you for the offer if I decline it.  "No thank you" is a reasonable response so please don't assume you know my needs better than I do.  

9 comments:

  1. Quite right too! I used to find the same when I was taking my husband out in the wheelchair. Questions were addressed to me, not to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather sad when people who have a physical disability are treated as though they lack mental capacity,

      Delete
  2. We have my late father's "truck" that the grandchildren have taken over! They love wizzing round the farm yard which fortunately is 99 % concrete often with 2 or even 3 up often with a trolly tied on the back. The novelty hasn't worn off after 4years and it doesn't seem to matter what age, 7 of them from 22 to 6. It's not cosmetically fit for normal use now but worth it's weight in gold for fun. Su

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite right that folks should ask if you need help instead of just figuring you do. Here in Canada we also have special parking for those who have a disability. The only time I get angry is when someone who is not disabled takes that space (we have a special tag to hang on the mirror of vehicles).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it's a blue badge. And sometimes they get"borrowed" ny able bodied people so they can use the reserved parking.

      Delete
  4. Well said. Have you thought about a letter to the editor somewhere to enlighten others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just try and tell people as it happens! But as I said to Eliabeth, people seem to assume a lack of mental ability.

      Delete
  5. Yes. There's a ramp on the back of my car. TT is usually "garaged" in my car when not in use so we're always ready for an outing.

    ReplyDelete