Search This Blog

Saturday 31 August 2024

Y is for YMCA


As we walked away from church on Sunday, an elderly gentleman and I were discussing what we were having for lunch.

"I'm having salmon with new potatoes and salad" I said.

"I'm having YMCA" he said

"YMCA?"

"YMCA.  Yesterday's Meal Cooked Again."

I rather liked it and I giggled a bit on the way home.

But it made me think about weird names for food. Some proper names for food are weird. One reader commented that her husband didn't believe there really was a dish called Bubble and Squeak.  I asked how he could make himself eat a Hot Dog. 

But it's the informal names for dishes which are the most fun.  I've just eaten a bowl of Whatever Soup, so named because it includes whatever happens to be in the fridge.  Others call that Bottom of the Fridge Soup, Bung It In Soup or Iffits Soup.

Any ideas from you?

7 comments:

  1. One of my husband's favourites was what we called 'Rice and bits', just some fried rice with what ever was available, bacon, vegetables of all sorts, mushrooms, anything that came to hand. With a dash of Soya sauce it was always good. You could almost pretend it was a Chinese dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the day it was "CORN" night - Clean Out the Refrigerator Night. All the contents of the little containers were either combined or reheated on their own to get finished off. Usually, something fresh had to be added to make enough for four hungry people, thus setting the stage for ANOTHER little container of left overs to find a use for yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "fridge scrape" or the old English term "orts" for meals made with leftovers. My kids used to say that so many meals were "leftovers" they couldn't remember what the original dish was! I like YMCA though - a great name

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, need to think on this for a bit. I am not sure what we call a Bit's and Bob's soup, or a Clean out the fridge supper. Those are just my names for them here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete