Search This Blog

Sunday 25 August 2024

W is for Willoughton and Walesby

St Andrew's Church, Willoughton

 For nearly fifteen years I was Vicar of Willoughton.  It was one of the five parishes in my group.

Today I have taken a service at Walesby.  I go to Walesby a few times each year, sometimes to lead and sometimes to be part of the congregation.  I have no "formal" relationship with Walesby, I am not their vicar.

Only a minority of Willoughton residents came to church but everyone knew me as the vicar.  Sunday by Sunday I lead worship in the various churches in the group.  They knew they could call on my services when there was a wedding or a funeral.  I would attend as many village events as I could.  

St Mary's Church, Walesby.

I take services at Walesby only when invited by the Priest in Charge.  She looks after eleven parishes and needs help every Sunday but there is a Non Stipendiary Priest and several lay ministers helping her most Sundays.  Today the NSM was away so I filled in.  I don't take weddings in that group and take only very occasional funerals when asked to by the Priest in Charge.  I don't live in the group and I attend very few events there.  I am free to accept invitations anywhere I want, and I fill in for clergy who are ill or on holiday.

I take services on one or two Sundays each month but I am free to say "No" when invited.  Eventually I will no longer lead but I will still be in church, in a pew, grateful for the love of God shown to me through other ministers.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, and I thought our priests had large areas to look after. You all look after way more parishes.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had five but they were all small. Since I retired the number of stipendiary clergy has dropped so each of them has more.

      Delete