Search This Blog

Monday 19 August 2024

V is for vegetables

 Five a day, thirty a week, plant consumption is SO important.  I usually manage both those targets but I have to do a bit of planning to make sure I hit the second.  The thirty can include not just vegetables but also fruit, nuts, seeds, herbs, edible flowers, spices and some grains.

A couple of times each month I pick up a Waste Not box from Lidl.  They are brilliant value and they often contain items which I wouldn't normally buy but, as I consider myself honour-bound not to waste anything from these precious boxes, I eat them.  I'm not keen on pears or padron peppers but they were in last week's box so I am eating them.  Some things, eg large quantities of potatoes, I give away, knowing that the recipients won't waste them either.

My freshest vegetables are from my garden and this year it has done me proud.  In this bed I've got tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, courgettes, beetroot, leeks, and broccoli.  There are some French marigolds in there too


And I grow runner beans amongst the flowers.  Jack says he doesn't approve but I think he may be coming around to my way of thinking.  If not - tough!

The sweet peas have been flowering since 27th June with at least a vaseful each day and plenty to give to friends

8 comments:

  1. Wow thats some box of fruit and veg, and your veg garden looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely box of fruit and veggies and your garden looks really good.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lovely and very productive! I did some shopping today and among the purchases were, salad greens, tomatoes, strawberries, peaches and a cantaloupe melon - love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The veggie stalls look especially beautiful at the moment, don't they.

      Delete
  4. I love my veges too! Runner beans have pretty flowers so why shouldn’t they be in the flower garden. Margaret (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly! Just need to persuade someone else!

      Delete