Search This Blog

Monday 5 August 2024

Q is for Quite close to home

I'm hoping to go on a cruise some time in the next couple of years so I've decided not to go away for holidays whilst I am saving.  In the mean time, I am having days out "quite close to home".  (OK, I'm being "creative" about my alphabet!)

Gardens at Gunby Hall

I'm a member of the Scottish National Trust, which might seem a bit odd for a Lincolnshire Lass like myself but the National Trust would charge me £91.20 while the Scottish National Trust asks only £62.40.  I can use my Scottish membership at English properties: the only thing I don't get is a members' handbook.  I'll cope!

The lake at Clumber

There are only two suitable National Trust properties "quite close to home" with Gunby Hall being 36 miles away and Clumber Park being 44 miles.  I say "suitable" because there is little point in my going to properties where I can't use my trundle truck.  I have visited both this year and will probably go back.
Far Ings Nature Reserve


I'm also a member of Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust and visit some of their reserves.  These are usually free to visit although some charge parking.  And I've visited other nature reserves too.

Sunflowers at Baumber

Then there are privately owned properties like Baumber Walled Garden.  That's free but no picnics etc allowed.  That's fair enough - they have a cafe and need to make their costs somehow!

So, I manage to get days out, usually just for the cost of my petrol and I take my picnic and flasks.  

And my knitting

Then I sit and people-watch and doubtless people smile when they see a dotty old lady knitting, and I hope they see the kindly smile on my face too.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get to go on a cruise. Saga and Titan are companies that pick you up from the door, and are so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at various possibilities. A dear cousin has offered to take me to the docks if need be.

      Delete