Search This Blog

Monday 22 January 2024

F is for Fitness - or not!

Often in the winter I struggle with the blues but that hasn't really been so this year.  'Orrible inertia, yes.  The blues, no.  What I have struggled with is physical fitness.

At the beginning of the year, I was walking around the block most days but alas! no more.  This year the cold has affected me more than I can ever remember.  If I get cold, I take several hours to get warm no matter what I do.

And the cold has affected my joints.  The batmobile looks very tempting at the moment!  On good days I get around the house unaided but I've needed my stick a few times recently.

But, all that is better than the winter blues!  I'm happy to phone friends, zoom a bit, sort my stuff and be cheerful.  I'm making myself get out of the chair a couple of times each hour and Fitbit tells me I'm doing around 2000 steps on the better days.  I'm cooking.  I led worship yesterday.  

I may not be fit (to be honest, I'm definitely not fit) but life looks pretty good.


15 comments:

  1. I’m just back from a holiday in Japan and must have walked more than I thought as the scales were relatively welcoming, But I know my fitness has regressed so I’m off to the gym again tomorrow. I admire how you are working movement into your day. The winters are much harder aren’t they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Physically this is my hardest winter ever. I shall work out some strategies before next year.

      Delete
  2. Oops. Sorry that was me, Margaret from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cold has been affecting me as well this year. I ache much more than ever before. I am getting up every so often and moving around. I can hardly wait for nicer weather and the ability to move around outside. I am glad that you are not suffering from the blues.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of thw rost things about getting older. And I'm glad I haven't got the blues too!

      Delete
  4. My son reminds me to get up often and not sit too long, and I see you are practicing the getting up too. Youngsters that work on computers benefit from doing that too. The Christmas ecard you sent me is so clever and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking is much harder this time of year, and on wet days we stay inside, spring is getting closer, and then all the days will be spent outside again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping some of my aches and pains will disappear when spring comes.

      Delete
  6. I think the cold affects many of us and wet weather out doesn't encourage us to walk either, so round the house is good, Don't put yourself down, you're doing good. I take Turmeric and I think its helping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you don’t have the winter blues! I am sorry about the aches and pains though — I know what you mean — during our latest cold spell I have been as stiff as the Tin Man! I give in to the chair way too much even though I know that, as hard as it is, moving around makes me feel better all around. Right now it isn’t as cold, no ice/snow, but we are having so much rain and that is almost as bad. Keep it up! I am sure you are not as unfit as you think you are — sounds like you are doing pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, is your garden straight again now, after all the work done on your access? When you mentioned 'walking round the block' rather than walking around your garden, it made me realise that I hadn't seen an update since the photos last summer?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you are doing well in spite of the cold! We have had a very mild winter, which I have been thankful for, but the cold we have had does affect my joints as well. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete