Search This Blog

Sunday 7 January 2024

Epiphany

Yesterday was the Feast of Epiphany when we remember the wise ones who went to seek Jesus.  From Christmas Day onwards they have been in various places around my house.  They bring a rather snooty looking camel with them!


Meanwhile in my sitting room there has been a small tableau of the Holy Family with various sheep, cattle and anything else which could find its way there.  Until Christmas Day there was a figure of a pregnant woman but on 25th December that was replaced by the mother and child you see here and that was when the shepherds came too.

Yesterday the wise ones arrived and they too took their places, worshipping the child alongside the shepherds.  Today the shepherds have gone back to their fields and the  wise ones will stay until The Feast of The Presentation (Candlemas) on 2nd February. 


 Ages ago I read on someone's blog a post abut chalking the door but I can't remember whose blog it was!  It was a custom in mediaeval Europe and is still common in some countries.  My front door is UPVC but I have some labels for chalk-labelling  bottles and jars so I stuck one on the front door and chalked it.  

The chalking shows that this is the Year of Our Lord, 2024.  In the middle (interspersed by crosses) are the three letters CMB.  Casper, Melchior and Balthazar are the traditional names given to the wise ones but CMB also means "Christus mansionem benedicat", or "May Christ bless this house".  

It echoes the way the Israelites marked their doors at Passover.  For me, it is a blessing not only for me and my house, but all who come through the front door.

And by extension, may Christ bless you who read this blog.  

(I'm sorry I didn't post more about my Advent nativity set.  I had camera problems in the first half of the month and, by the time it was restored, I had lost momentum!)

 

9 comments:

  1. They have a blessing of the chalk at the church in my village- I'd not heard of this until I moved here and had to investigate what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loads of chalk*. I may write on the bricks by the front door (* when I began teaching, we still used blackboards)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you change you nativity scene to reflect the events, I only have Joseph, Mary and baby, which I surround with different trees, I did not want to build a stable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your changing Nativities are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my chalk ready for when Frankie comes around, she will be delighted to add this to our calendar.
    Your nativity sets are all delightful but this could well be my favourite. Elaine (Lincs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only learned about this tradition very recently, and was sent home from church this morning with blessed chalk and printed instructions. Thanks for doing a blog post on it
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chalking the door is an interesting tradition I've never heard of. My nativity scenes are all put away, I didn't wait until Epiphany.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting tradition. I need to read a bit more about it. I do love the idea though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good idea about the chalk labels! I have chalked my door but it is too tall for me to get to even on a step stool so I did it down the side — needs to be updated though

    ReplyDelete