Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 January 2020

A joyful heritage

When I was a little girl my grandparents lived in this farmhouse deep in the Lincolnshire Wolds.  It looks very gracious, doesn't it, but looks can deceive!   I wrote about it several years ago starting with this post.

To the left of the view seen here there was a large copper beech tree, and under the tree there grew a rich profusion of snowdrops.  As a little girl I would pick bunch after bunch and you could not see from where I had plucked them.



My Mother dug up a few each year and took them back to the garden at home.  They spread wonderfully and when my parents left that house she again dug some up to plant in the new garden.  Later she moved again and repeated the ritual.  When I went to live at my Vicarage we again dug up a few of the snowdrops and planted them there.  You won't be surprised that when I left the Vicarage I brought some for my garden here.  In each place many were left but the transplanted ones spread in whatever garden they were taken to.  By my reckoning my Mother and I have been responsible for the snowdrop population in at least five gardens and in reality it has been far more than that.  

My present house is a modern(ish) bungalow about five miles from the lovely house in that photograph so my snowdrops have almost gone to their original home.  They flourish in my garden, hiding underground when summer comes but making their welcome appearance each January/February.

And today I fetched this little posy into the house.  Truly a joyful heritage.

8 comments:

  1. All that history and those wonderful memories make them truly special. Such a joy when you find them in bloom. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your childhood memories of New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve just started following but your reminisces of your childhood are very similar to mine in the late 1950s. I would be in bed and an aunt or two and a guest would come up to say goodnight. They would all look so glamorous in their party frocks and makeup. My father had a band and several of them would start playing. Dad on piano, Uncle Don on trumpet, Henry of trombone and others whose names I have forgotten. It is a wonder I ever got to sleep.
    I love the idea of spreading the snowdrops, what a reminder. We have brought a seedling from a yew tree which has now established well and reminds me of our last house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see the first appearance of my Snowdrops, under the front garden shrubs where I can see them from the living room window. Ditto the creamy flowers of the Hellebores alongside them. But I've never picked any to bring inside - it just seems wrong, somehow. I treat myself to an occasional bunch of cheerful flowers but prefer to leave the growing ones where they can continue flowering for as long as they like. Daffodils will be flowering very soon, followed by the Tulips and Muscari; Spring will well and truly be on the way when that happens! Love your pretty vase, by the way. I can't resist a pretty little vase or jug if I see one at the right price. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is lovely, such a wonderful memory of your previous home. I love to see the snowdrops first making their appearance through the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have the flowers of your grandparents at each of your homes. We did that with lilies of the valley from Dan's grandparents home. Having no garden now I do have some of those in a raised bed here. I'm babysitting them for daughter who will move them to Buffalo once they purchase a house. Other daughter has some too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and to be able to carry a bit of your heritage where ever you go is absolutely wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving some perennials today which gave us the opportunity to spread the snowdrops clustered round them to other parts of the garden. My husband's only request was put them where I can see them out of the window - too many hidden round the back out of sight - I need to see them to cheer my day. Softie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet you have been spreading snowdrops and now they are rather near your grandparents' old home.

    ReplyDelete