Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 January 2020

An Odd Sort of Joy

One of the problems about being disabled and/or growing older is the fear of problems.  Let me explain!  

I dread falling and being unable to get help.  I dread my trundle truck breaking down.  I dread domestic difficulties which I can't deal with.  I wouldn't have wanted to fall or have problems at home even when I was younger but disability and increasing years make me doubt my ability to cope.  I can try to anticipate problems (having an alarm, getting grab rails and so on) but I suppose it's a fear of the unknown.

Last night I was not a happy bunny.  I was watching TV when suddenly it went off, as did the broadband service.  A quick check told me that a trip switch had tripped so I reset it but a couple of minutes later it tripped again.  It wasn't all the electrical points in the house, just a few of them; the lights and cooker were unaffected as were a few sockets.

The first problem was a freezer full of food but I found an extension cable, emptied the freezer, dragged it out so I could access the plug and then plugged it into a the extension cable plugged into a working socket and refilled it.  Another extension restored the broadband but I had to leave everything else including the landline phone.  That included the central heating which, although gas powered, has an electric pump, not a happy thing in January!  I just went to bed.

Today I phoned for an electrician and while waiting for him I started to do the washing up by hand.  However, when I tipped the water down the drain it decided to flood the kitchen floor instead.  I now had a plumbing problem, limited electricity,  and no house phone.  I used my mobile to ask Pete-the-handyman to come and unblock it for me.  He came quickly and cleaned all the traps, u-bends etc as well as the plumbing behind the dishwasher.  It was as he was pushing the dishwasher back that he noticed that the electrical cable was damaged.

So we waited for the electrician who checked everything and repaired the damaged cable and soon everything was restored.  Wonderful!

My "odd sort of joy" isn't just the fact that order is restored but it's the satisfaction of knowing that I coped and didn't go to pieces and that I have a little more information about the things I need to do for my own self-care.  (I need a corded phone that I can plug in when needed.  I need more torches.)  

But I also know that I have got support when I need it.  So my joy is an even deeper appreciation of that wonderful network.




6 comments:

  1. Well, done Mary! You are stronger than you think! We have an old saying here “when it rains, it pours” meaning that once one thing goes awry, more seems to follow. But, you handled it and came out better on the other side! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a frightening feeling when things go wrong, but so good that you had help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry it happened, but glad your coping mechanisms were in place

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot of the nonsense that added up become stress. You did well keeping calm and carrying on. Isn't that what you Brit's do? Seriously, well done and I hope you continue to be on top of your game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be very proud of your coping skills. You did as well as any able-bodied person in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You coped very well and had all the support that you needed. Good for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete