Search This Blog

Saturday 11 January 2020

A Thankful Joy


I went to Brookenby today.  Brookenby is one of several new villages in Lincolnshire which were originally RAF bases, in this case RAF Binbrook. 


The church at Brookenby is in the former Sergeants' Mess which it shares with the community centre and is about as untraditional a church building as you could find!  (Except maybe the church which meets in the lounge bar of the local, but that's another story.)

Recently they had the opportunity to acquire some extra rooms and they've set up a tea room, a charity shop and a small community grocery shop.  When I had finished the service last Sunday I had a look around and expressed an interest in a wheeled walking frame but left it as I hadn't any cash with me.

But on Tuesday I had a phone call from their vicar (who was elsewhere on Sunday) saying that if I wanted the walker it would be set aside for me.  What's more he told me quite a bit of the sermon I had preached as someone had enjoyed it and remembered it and told him.  So today I went to Brookenby to buy the walker.

So why the thankfulness?  Well, I felt that although I go to Brookenby only occasionally the congregation cares about me.  Someone had noticed my interest in the walker and done something about it.  Very often when I go I am just "the preacher" but actually for as long as I am there I am part of their congregation  with needs and a life outside the pulpit just like everyone else.  And they had appreciated my gift in preaching.  And I feel truly thankful for them.

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you- I do lots of lay preaching, and it is so lovely [a] when people remember your sermon & you hear about it from a third party [b] when they really do care about you. Great that you got the walker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely thing to read. Being and feeling a part of something is so important. I'm glad that your gift was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To feel part of and included is so very special I am thrilled that you have been aprreceiated and remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you are remembered and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gift, to be appreciated and remembered. I am glad you got the walker.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive a fondness for Brookenby ,but havent been in a while . Do you know the opening hours of the charity shop ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate. I'm not sure f the opening hours so I have emailed the churchwarden to make sure I don;t give you duff information. I'll put the times here when I know them.

      Delete
    2. Hello again, Kate. I've heard from the Churchwarden and "Thrifty" is open Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday 10 till 2 pm. It's on Kent Road, Brookenby LN8 6EW in the old sergeants' mess.

      Delete
  7. Isn't that lovely, to be thought about in this way, especially by people who see you only occasionally. You obviously make a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How kind that someone noticed your interest in the walker, told the vicar, and it was held for you. That is a great way to show they appreciate you and your sermon. By the way, the church I attend is also unconventional in appearance, it looks like a huge plain auditorium with folding chairs. That makes the space very versatile so we use it to host parties for foster children, events for homeless people, family fun events, etc.

    ReplyDelete