Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 January 2020

A Wet Joy

Years ago one of my greatest pleasures was to have a hot bath.  I had an array of perfumed bubble baths and bath milks and to go the bathroom, choose an aroma to suit my mood and then sink into hot, fragrant bubbles was bliss!

When I first moved to this house I had a bath lift fitted so that I could continue to enjoy that delight, but the lift is no longer working and I decided not to replace it.  Instead I have to shower which seemed a poor substitute for those steamy tubs of old.  To make matters worse I discovered that my skin was better when I didn't use shower gels or anything else for that matter.  Showering was just functional: I cleaned myself but it was no treat.

But I've realised recently that I enjoy my shower.  I don't linger long as I don't want to waste water but those three or four minutes are sheer pleasure.  Hot water streaming gently or powerfully over me, just as I choose, is delightful.  Then to wrap myself in a bathrobe and relax - ah bliss!

7 comments:

  1. I can relate. When we moved to this retirement community and the two bedroom two bathroom apt I had the stacked washer /dryer removed from one bathroom so that I could have a tub/shower combo in the other bathroom. The first bathroom is my husband's with just a shower no tub. The laundry room is down the hall. I didn't need a bathroom devoted to laundry that I do only one day a week. Other residents are amazed I have the tub and wish they had thought of that.
    I'm glad you are enjoying your shower now that you can't get into the tub. That will be me one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't get used to showering, and I know that will be me some day (probably sooner than I want). I am glad to know that there is hope I will actually begin to enjoy it once I am used to it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a bath for years and years!
    The thing I love about a shower is the speed, no hanging about waiting for the bath to fill. I never was one for lazing in a bath - too much to do somewhere more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if Social services could replace the bath lift for you? Having a bath is such a lovely luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree and as an achy old woman I love my shower I always say, there's no pain in the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to enjoy a hot bath but I always stepped in the shower afterward. Now I am strictly a shower person and it does feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I could no longer get out of the bath unaided, I had the bath removed and replaced with a shower - but oh how I long for a lovely soak in a Radox bath to ease the aches and pains. As an added pleasure, I would let out some of the cooling water and add more hot water. Absolute bliss!

    ReplyDelete