In the summer
the native dog rose looks lovely in our hedgerows but the flowers died off some
time ago and now we have rosehips. They
are just little splashes of colour almost hidden in hedges where the hawthorns have
rather more profuse fruits. Wild rosehip
looks as though it has been put there deliberately by someone with a
paintbrush.
Wild rosehips were
particularly important during the Second World War, when rosehip syrup was made
as a source of vitamin C when supplies of some fruits were scarce. I can remember rosehip syrup being served
with milk puddings at school in the fifties.
I’ve mentioned
foraging earlier in this series but I’ve never collected rosehips for
food. I am happy to leave them for birds
and other wildlife. Besides, they look
so pretty in the hedgerows. They don't
need to be picked, cooked or preserved to be worthwhile. They can simply be admired.

I love their pops of colour brightening the hedgerows on a dull winter's day
ReplyDeleteThey certainly add interest.
DeleteSo many seed heads are pretty, and so very useful for our wildlife.
ReplyDeleteTrue on both counts.
DeleteI remember getting rose hip syrup every morning and it destroyed my back teeth! They rose hips are lovely and keep some colour in the hedgerows as autumn comes. Catriona
ReplyDeleteOoh, I don't have memories of rosehip syrup as bad as yours!
DeleteJust lovely pops of colour when perhaps all other colours have disappeared.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
A smile in the middle of each hedgerow!
DeleteVit C source? Didn't know that.
ReplyDeleteOh yes. During WW11 the Women's Institute organised picking parties and made syrup at the invitation of the government.
DeleteRose hips are very pretty.
ReplyDeleteLittle pops of colour brightening winter hedges.
Delete