There is
something rather satisfying about the day coming to an end. It may not have been very productive – that doesn’t
matter. It’s a day which I’ve spent with
God whether or not I have thought about him and it’s a day I want to give back
in prayer. We spend much of our lives
trying to squeeze more into the day. Vespers does the opposite. It says: stop
now. The day is ending. You don't have to do anything more.
The formal service involves a psalm, some Scripture, prayers and, traditionally, the beautiful Magnificat — Mary's song of praise from the Gospel of Luke. I use the Book of Common Prayer version with its wonderfully old fashioned language. Sometimes the prayer can be as simple as sitting quietly for a few minutes at home and consciously handing the day over to God. The world will manage, even if I stop pedalling.
Vespers invites
us to look back over the day — not to judge it, but simply to notice it. The things that went well. The things that didn't. The small kindness we received. And perhaps the things we wish we had done
differently. Then we let them go.
I think there
is something especially comforting about an evening prayer that has been prayed
by Christians for centuries. Somewhere, in some church, monastery or quiet
room, people have been watching the daylight fade and saying their prayers long
before we invented electric lights, central heating and online shopping.
We still need
to stop. We still need to give thanks. We still need forgiveness.
Some ancient
traditions are worth keeping.

Thank you for explaining it, Mary. We don't have anything quite so formal in my religion, but, the Temple has an evening puja or worship service that anyone is welcome to attend. Personally, I switch on the altar lights first, every evening, before I switch on any other lights in the house and say a brief prayer. The altar light remains switched on all night until I turn it off in the morning.
ReplyDeleteI think I may have explained it as rather more formal than it is for most people. I like the idea of a dedicated light burning all night as prayer while we sleep.
Delete