Search This Blog

11 September 2026

J is for journalling

 I know today is the anniversary of a very sad day for the USA so my condolences for all my readers there.  I remember exactly what I was doing when news of the attacks came - Jack's son and his brother were planting a hedge in my garden and I dragged the TV to the patio doors so they could watch the unfolding events in New York.  Unbelievable we thought, but it was all too true.  

On the day I decided to withdraw as covid advanced, I also started to keep a journal and I have kept it ever since.  My journal is a Word document which I find really useful as I can search it easily to find what happened when.  

So I decided to check what I did on this day in previous years.  In 2020 I was just starting to emerge from isolation but I became worried because I came into contact with a suspected covid case so I scuttled back home and seclusion.  Another year I went to a harvest meeting of the WI and reported that it was totally boring.  The year that it was a talk on self defence was much more interesting!  One year I went swimming and reported that I had swum fourteen lengths which I decided was a little too far as I was shattered for the rest of the day.  Last year I was beginning to make plans for my hibernaculum.

And how I wish I had the courage and talent to make a lovely hand-written-and-illustrated journal like Kirsten of A Letter from Home!  Maybe I could try that in my hibernaculum.  

10 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your A-Z - you always find such interesting things to write about

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had collected my 9 year old son from school, someone said to me that something had happened at the twin towers. I didn't even know what they were. When we got home he turned on the TV for children's telly, but of course 9/11 was all over the channels. We watched it together, transfixed, until we saw the second plane crash into the towers, then I suddenly realised it wasn't really suitable and switched it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like journalling too and sometimes do wee doodles to remind me about a nice part of a day-flowers, houses etc. I also did the scrapbooking kind of journalling using photographs but that’s somewhere in a cupboard now as it became tedious to think of things to do. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite fancy the scrapbooking sort of journalling for special times - maybe a holiday - but it's too much for everyday.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed journaling and did so on and off for several years. But, once I started blogging, that sort of became my journal.
    9/11 - I was at work when one of my cousins called me; he worked for the Port Authority and was in the first tower to get hit. He was one of the lucky ones who managed to get away. Shortly after that, since I worked at the Civic Center in downtown Los Angeles and it was feared that we might be a potential target, we were all told to go home. Later I picked up my daughter from school, came home, and sat glued to the TV the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the sense of unreality as it happened. Glad your cousin was one of the lucky ones but very sad that so many were not.

      Delete
  5. 9/11; I was working on a huge banner for church, so big I needed to use the church floor to lay it out. I hadn't known it was happening, until a stranger from the village came in. She said she never came to church, but didn't know where else to go, what else to do... so lucky for her that I had opened up that morning.
    I publish the 10-minute scribbles just to show how rough the pictures can be and still somehow work - at least, they work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ten minute scribbles really inspire me to want to have a go. You see things with clarity and record the essentials.

      Delete