Search This Blog

07 September 2026

F is for Foraging

I hope no-one will say that I am mean but my favourite price for anything is NOTHING!  And one of the best ways of getting something for nothing is to go foraging.  

When I was a child, I loved finding field mushrooms on my grandparents’ farm.  It could be a slightly hazardous occupation as the creepy crawlies could have got there first, but there were always lots left for greedy little girls like me.

Apples grew freely in our garden but blackberries were foraged from hedgerows around the farm.  My favourite fruit pie is still blackberry and apple.  With cream.   There’s an abundance of blackberries in the rough patch of land next to my house and I’ve been having a few.  Apples are very plentiful here and my friends are very happy to let me have some. 

There was a sweet chestnut tree on the farm but hazelnuts had to be foraged.  They were so much more precious than the ones in the shops. 

There’s a good source of sloes in a local churchyard and I  pick them in the years I want to make sloe gin.  It’s a lovely warming drink on a February evening.  I don’t pick anything at the roadside or hedges around fields which have been sprayed as I feel there could be quite a bit of pollution on or in the fruit.

These days foraging is more difficult for me as the trundle truck can’t get me close to worthwhile natural larders but I’m so glad that I did it while I could.

6 comments:

  1. I've never picked field mushrooms and I think I'd be nervous now of eating mushrooms that didn't come from a shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would still eat them, but now you've said that, I'm not so sure.

      Delete
  2. I have done some foraging in the past when I lived on campus at the university; I was able to pick wild strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples, plums, etc. Where I live now, everything is built up and I don't find much to forage and the few edible wild plants I am able to identify are located too close to busy highways and are probably exposed to too many pollutants. But, it would be lovely to be able to forage, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where I lived in Sussex many years ago was surrounded by hazel coppices, but we never got to forage for the nuts, the grey squirrels always got there first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has started foraging mushrooms. She seems very sure of herself and so far so good.

    ReplyDelete