Search This Blog

16 September 2026

N is for nostalgia

 L P Hartley said “The past is a foreign country” but I can’t agree.  The past is so familiar.  Old friends, old faces, old voices.  There are so many in my memory.  All it takes is a smell, a song, an old photograph or even a phrase not heard since my youth.  

So many things from my youth would be strange to youngsters.  Telephones with curly cables.  Televisions with knobs.  But they are not foreign to me. 

I remember childhood summers that seemed to last forever. By the time September came I was well ready to go back to school.  But during those long weeks there were picnics, bike rides, visits, family gatherings. 

Nostalgia wears rose coloured spectacles or rather she takes the ordinary bits of our past and gives them a gentle golden glow.

I sometimes miss things I didn't even appreciate at the time. Waiting for two ounces of sweets to be weighed out from a big jar.   School milk drunk from a bottle with a straw.  Trotting to the letter box to post mother’s endless letters

But I think nostalgia is less about wanting to go back and more about remembering who we were.  In retirement life is no longer quite so full of rushing from one responsibility to another. There is space to remember.

Sometimes those memories make me smile. Sometimes they make me sad. Sometimes they remind me of people who are no longer here.

And that's all right.  We don't have to push the past away just because we're living in the present.  Maybe we can invite those memories in and share a cuppa with them . 

Then, when the reminiscing is over, we can get back to the present.  Nostalgia is a lovely place to visit.  But I wouldn't want to live there.

8 comments:

  1. Many years sgo I asked my Oma what she thought about all day, sitting on her chair. 'Oh, I'm happy just remembering things,' she said
    I decided then I would try and fill my mind with good things to think back over for when it was my time to sit in a chair and remember...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just preparing to go to London, tomorrow we are attending a Thanksgiving Service for Spurgeons College. The College closed abruptly last year. There are hundreds of people who were trained there and we want to remember and give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to remember, life was simpler in our youth, social media has a lot to answer for, I prefer our style of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how today's youngsters will look back. Doubtless they, too, will have rose coloured spectacles.

      Delete
  4. Primary school was my favourite time although I did go to three different ones due to my policeman father moving stations. Not so keen on secondary and we moved house once then as well. I remember all the things you do too and we no longer have a house phone but use our mobile phones. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked my primary school too and also my grammar school but I didn't enjoy sixth form college so much.

      Delete