Search This Blog

04 September 2026

D is for deciduous trees

 I rather like deciduous trees.  They’re fitting in with my life quite well at the moment.  Trees know when their leaves have become clutter and they get rid!  They have no sentimental attachment to their leaves; they don’t think that the foliage might be handy in February.  They do one last, beautiful thing and then get rid of the lot. 

My tree of the year is hanging on to its leaves. 
I find it hard to be so ruthless!

I can’t look at a cupboard and think, “Right, vase, you’ve served your purpose, off you go.”  My stuff isn’t quite so obliging.

Wouldn’t it be lovely if my possessions could create a last, wonderful display like trees do.  Would that make everything easier?  A sort of retirement party before they go to the charity shop or recycling?

As I sort each shelf or room it looks bare.  Trees don’t worry about that.  They know that the bare branches use less energy.  Rather a comforting thought for someone who struggles with clutter. 

But perhaps there is wisdom in a deciduous tree.  Sometimes it is perfectly all right to let things go.



Blogger has a whole new problem for me today: I can neither post comments on other people's blogs nor reply to comments on my blog.  My apologies: I am reading blogs and I appreciate the comments left on my blog.  


No comments:

Post a Comment