Search This Blog

15 September 2026

M is for mums

 No, not mothers:- chrysanthemums.  Gardeners often call them mums.   And I forgot to get some this year!

They are one of those plants which give a wonderful autumn burst of colour, along with sedums, Michaelmas daisies, dahlias and rudbeckias.  Summer doesn’t have it all her own way.  These flowers are the garden’s final burst of colour before winter takes over.

Many gardeners grow wonderful specimens to enter the local horticultural shows but mums aren’t necessarily demanding.   They simply get on with flowering while the rest of the garden is collapsing around them.

As the years go by, I find myself increasingly sympathetic to plants that bloom a little later in life. There is something rather appealing about having your best moment when everyone else has gone indoors.

Chrysanthemums come in all sorts of colours — yellow, bronze, red, pink, white and rather alarming shades that seem to have been invented by someone with a fluorescent paint box. They are wonderfully cheerful.

When the evenings are drawing in and summer already feels like something that happened somewhere else, mums provide a little reminder that there is still plenty of life and colour left in the year.

11 comments:

  1. I don't have any either... much better than dahlias which remind me too much of the childhood tasks of helping to lift them in the Autumn, replant in the spring and deadhead all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty mums in the pictures. All my mums, except one, died during the summer heat, this year. I don't think I'll plant any new ones. I'm saving my water for vegetables and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they're not my mums. I agree that vegetables are the priority for watering.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post about ‘mums and I am definitely in the autumn of my life at 76. Autumn is my second favourite season after spring and I am enjoying all the colours of the trees and plants as they slowly prepare for winter. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've decided that autumn is the right season to write reflective posts.

      Delete
  4. I purchased two in a dark red and they are just now opening their buds out front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of Mums. Such a beautiful autumn flower.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete