Porridge never appears on the breakfast table here at Frugal Follies during the summer. It is strictly an autumn/winter dish. In the summer I might have overnight oats but the winter calls for something warm and comforting.
I think
breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day. I’ve tried ‘em all.
When I was a little girl breakfast was always bacon and . . . The “and” could be tomatoes, egg, kidneys, liver, mushrooms, fried bread. Just one of those, not the “full English” of today’s menus. We never had porridge as my Father reckoned he’d eaten enough porridge as a child and during the war to last a lifetime. Now I eat bacon only when Jack comes.
I like a variety of breakfasts. I may have Greek yoghurt but add blueberries,
mango, raspberries. There’s always a
mixed collection of seeds and nuts as well.
Or I might have
avocado toast. Occasionally marmalade on
toast. Or spinach with scrambled
eggs. Or boiled eggs with asparagus
spears to dip in, but only if I’ve found yellow sticker asparagus. I sometimes have baked beans – no toast, just
beans eaten like soup. There’s even a
kipper in the freezer waiting for the right day.
But porridge is
an old faithful. I like to measure out
tomorrow’s porridge after today’s breakfast so the oats can soak in milk or
water for a day before cooking. And I have it topped with the same sort of things which I have on yoghurt in the summer
There is
something wonderfully reassuring about a breakfast that has been around for
generations and has never once felt the need to reinvent itself.

No comments:
Post a Comment