Search This Blog

12 September 2026

K is for Kettle and Knitting


There is something deeply comforting about putting the kettle on.  It’s the answer to so many of life’s problems, especially when autumn starts to take hold.   I’ve never been a more-tea-vicar as I don’t drink tea, but a hot drink often hits the spot.

As soon as friends arrive, they are offered a cuppa.  I offer tea (builders variety) green tea (preferred by Jack), coffee (my first choice), decaff coffee (that’s mostly for Annie-The-Home-Enhancer aka the cleaner), fruit tea (I don’t drink coffee after about 3pm) or even instant soup.  There’s something very basic to friendship about offering some sort of hot drink. 

If I’m bored, I’ll have a hot drink.  If I’m upset, I’ll have a hot drink.  If I’m cold, I’ll have a hot drink.  Even when I have my regular zooms with various friends most of us make a cuppa before settling down in front of the screen.


scarves
Then I settle down and take pleasure in drinking it.  And often I’ll pick up my knitting.  I’m getting quite a stack of scarves ready to go to The Salvation Army to be given to homeless people.  There’s even one there commissioned by Santa for a little girl of my acquaintance (I’m a supply elf for when the regulars have a panic on). There’s real pleasure in knitting: the cosy chair, the wool, the clickety-click of needles and the satisfying feeling that I am making something useful.

Retirement is rather good for both kettle and knitting. There is no need to rush. You can make a cup of tea, sit down, pick up the needles and spend a perfectly respectable morning doing very little.

Sometimes the knitting goes wrong.  (I am so "good" at knitting that I can make mistakes on a plain scarf.  But there's no rush.  I can put the kettle on.  A cuppa is the answer to everything.  


8 comments:

  1. Ours would be put the coffee pot on, I still use a filter into a jug one, and then curl up with my book, I have once got my knitting out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a cafetiere. I've one just big enough for a single mug of coffee.

      Delete
  2. We’ ve got brown water this morning which I didn’t notice until after I had put a load of whites in the machine-grrr. Now having a cup of green tea with water from the filter jug. I restarted knitting my Aran hoodie a couple of nights ago and have twice had to rip it back to the ribbing as I had made very obvious mistakes in the pattern. I had to abandon it because of the heat. Now prepping some fabric for tote bags for the Upcycling project where I volunteer. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really annoying re brown water! You deserve as many cups of tea as you like.

      Delete
  3. A hot drink and knitting sounds perfect in the cooler weather. It's still too hot to knit, over here, but, I still drink a cup of tea every morning, no matter what the temperature is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone finds the first cuppa of whatever to be vital.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely cheerful pile of scarves waiting to provide comfort 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knit about a dozen every year and they are always well received.

      Delete