For various complicated reasons I couldn't watch in Caistor but I went to the nearby village of Waddingham and sat (on my trundle truck) on the village green to watch. We (my cousin R and I) were there about half an hour early as a lot of roads were closed. We could neither of us believe how many police motorcycles came through. Everything was very light hearted and fun: however one highlight was a white van whose driver had ignored the road closure signs and driven through the village. A motorcycle cop stopped hm and an argument developed between White Van Man and the bobby. White Van Man wanted to go through and make a delivery but Motorcycle Cop was having none of it and, despite being very irate, White Van Man had no choice and had to get off the road. Maybe the sniggers of the crowd weren't to his liking either but the cool courtesy of the cop was commendable. (Got a few "C" words in there - did you notice?)
But R and I were not there to witness to how wonderful our policemen are: we'd come to see the race. It's slightly "blink and you miss them" as they whizz past. Less than a minute between the first and last of 108 riders. They'd already been up and down a lot of hills on the Lincolnshire Wolds and they were heading back to Lincoln. There they rode up Steep Hill which is just what it says, and it is cobbled.
I was glad to make my way back to the car and then on to a local hostelry where R treated me to lunch.
A pretty good day out.

We have a local stage of cycle racing in a neighbouring town, they use the one way system and go around about eight times - it takes longer to close the town, get a spot to watch than the entire race! They wizz by and you hardly see them, however it is very popular.
ReplyDeleteLots of cycle races around here. It's the first time that I have chosen to stand and watch although I've stopped for others.
DeleteIt's always amazing to see The Tour whizz through - I've been lucky enough to see it several times in Suffolk. I love all the organisation of the police blocking the roads that join and then moving along as the race goes by.
ReplyDeleteHow on earth did they bike up Steep Hill? I shall have to look and see if it's online somewhere.
I have no idea how they did it! There's a report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy7zglyzx83o but it makes little of that particular feat.
DeleteGoing up the cobbled Steep Hill at the end of the stage sounds downright mean!
ReplyDeleteYup. And they had to do it five times.
Delete