Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 March 2020

Keeping in touch

Isolation is becoming my new norm.  I'm used to spending lot of time alone.  I have very well stocked cupboards and freezer.  I've got excellent neighbours.  The idea of twelve weeks relative seclusion really isn't bothering me too much - in fact I'm rather looking forward to getting a few things done.

But sleep is proving a problem.  For several nights I've gone to bed feeling dog-tired but as soon as my head hits the pillow a Grand National of thoughts starts racing.  How will I manage the garden?  What if my computer breaks down?  What will happen if I get this wretched virus and I am on my own?  Generally about 4am I drop off through sheer exhaustion!

Then I nod off during the day but invariably I get woken after ten minutes by some kind person ringing to see if I am OK.  I'm really grateful - I live alone and kind support is really comforting but it's very frustrating!

Last night the exhaustion pushed me into sleep around 10.30pm but it didn't last long.  By 1am those jockeys had their horses racing around my brain and so at 2.30 I got up  and decided to read a few blogs. 

And there on Small Moments was a post about my letter swap which I wrote about a few days ago.  I had been in touch with Elizabeth who writes that blog to ask her advice about setting up a swap.  Many years ago I joined a swap which she organised. Later on I met her at Trelissick Gardens, a National Trust property in Cornwall.  We enjoyed a coffee and a walk (well, she walked and I rode my trundle truck).

It's great to make contact with fellow bloggers especially by letter (or even better meeting face to face) because letters are so much more personal than e mails.  There's no cut-and-paste, no personalising a basic document which has been sent in modified form to several people: instead there's something which the other person has touched and indeed created just for you.  The choice of stationery, the style of handwriting and so many things mean a letter is so very personal and could only have been created by just that one individual.

My letter swap is open until 27th March so you have over a week to decide if you want to take part.  You can e mail me at FenellaatCaistor@GMail.com.  Terra and Joyce F, you both said you would be sending me an e mail but I haven't received so could you send me another please - I will acknowledge receipt of all e mails.

I've had several e mails from people saying that they don't want to be part of the swap but they would like to be my pen-pal.   I've thought long and hard about this and have decided that as I can't say yes to all I will not say yes to any.  You can specify that you want a partner in your own country or abroad but you can't specify who.


Update.  In the comments below Marcia refers to this post by Elaine.

8 comments:

  1. In preparation for the penpal I purchased stationary from Etsy today. I decided based on Elaine's experience with her granddaughter to be penpals or picture pals with my granddaughters. Isn't them all a letter today to start it off. Didn't even bother asking my daughters if it was okay. Looking forward to who I get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh, it's awful when you can't sleep! I couldn't sleep on Sunday night and it was so frustrating!!! I really needed to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through months of not sleeping and just read in the middle of the night.. but recently with doing some gardening
    I 've slept better I wonder if its the fresh air?
    Take care and stay safe.. I 'm emailing you to join in the letter swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will send you another email today. Ah, the mysteries of email. I was one of those asking to be your pen pal, so I see your decision and understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So looking forward to this letter swap. This is going to be fun.

    Shutting off the whirly gig of our minds to go to sleep is not fun. I usually have that happen the first night I spend at Kris's. It's like I am constantly making a list of what needs doing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sent another e-mail today - the one I sent the other day bounced back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Second e-mail bounced back to me. You can e-mail me at joycenlarry1963atyahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent you a reply - could you let me know tht you've received it - thanks.

      Delete