Search This Blog

Thursday 26 March 2020

Adjusting 4

Part of Glentworth Vicarage Garden

For many years I have paid people to help me with various jobs.  When I lived in a vicarage I had a large garden and Jack came and helped me there and he continued to come for several years when I moved to Caistor.   When he was no longer able to come Pete-the-gardener-and-handyman came instead.
Part of my present garden



But Pete can't come now.  His children are at home and he's needed there so this year I am going to have to look after the garden (at least for a few months) by myself.  And that will not be easy.  I can't kneel to weed, I can't dig and my strength is very limited.

And quite honestly I don't know how I'm going to manage but manage I must.  Maybe when the lock-down is relaxed Pete will come which would be my best case scenario.  I've got a raised bed which I may be able to sort for myself.  I've invested in weed killer to deal with as much of the problem as I can.  I shall just have to do my best.

Annie my home-enhancer won't be coming to clean for me either.  I shall flick a duster and push a vacuum cleaner but the windows won't get cleaned and the furniture won't be moved.  Both Annie and Pete will be welcomed back with open arms when they do come!

But there are those who have far more problems than me.  Many are not getting their usual visits from carers and other people who add to their comfort.  My adjustments will be comparatively simple.

Update.  I've had a message from Jack.  Long time readers will know all about Jack but I've put a label below so everyone can find out about him.   He's got big family responsibilities now but wishes he could help me as well!  Anyway, he wants me to thank everyone who has sent their good wishes.  He thinks my blog readers are great!  If you comment he will read it but can't reply.

7 comments:

  1. That is a lovely vicarage garden and your current garden too. I had just decided I must hire garden help when this crisis happened, so that is on my to do list in future. I had been wondering how they manage when people who depend on visits from in home carers do not get those visits. Several years ago my step mother had an aid/carer come every day to wrap her legs, that would be hard to do by herself. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could Age UK help? Or is there a team of local Volunteers who might come in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it. To be honest I don't want anyone else in the house for a while so cleaning is out. I think Pete may come back when the lock-down is over - apart from anything else he will need some money!

      Delete
  3. Weathering this storm is going to be tough, but I know you can do it. Just small bites of the elephant each day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up whilst I have internet connection which is a little patchy. Glad you are safe and well. Glad to read Jack is doing well too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely garden but I can understand your worry - but really, not worth injuring yourself over. Perhaps after a couple of weeks of lockdown a young person in the village might be interested in at least mowing the lawn? Try not to let it get to you too much - everyone will understand.

    Hello to Jack - I was wondering how he was doing - glad to hear that he is doing well and with family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello to Jack and best wishes to you and to him. I love the healthy looking scarlet runners - you should get a good harvest.

    ReplyDelete