Search This Blog

Sunday 8 March 2020

It felt very odd

I was at Thoresway today, celebrating Holy Communion, just as that congregation celebrates regularly at its monthly communion service.

It's happened regularly at St Mary's since at least the twelfth century and, God willing, will happen for centuries to come.  There are changes, of course, which reflect the changing times - it's only in the last few decades for example, that there have been female priests - but the central act of breaking bread and sharing wine has been seen at Thoresway for the last eight centuries at least.

Today only I (as the celebrating priest) received wine.  Everyone else just received the consecrated bread.

I know that would have been commonplace until the mid sixteenth century when the Anglican church split from Rome but it is the first time I have celebrated the Eucharist in that way.

It felt very odd just as it felt odd to use hand sanitiser instead of a ceremonial wash with cold water (don't worry my hands were thoroughly washed with hot water and soap before I started).  It felt very odd to "withhold" the chalice.  

But that oddness reminded me in an odd way of my solidarity with Christians all over the globe as we, with all people, face a possible pandemic and I prayed for all who live in lands without good health services and so face it with fear. 

4 comments:

  1. Last Sunday I held the hand sanitizer giving a squirt to each cupped hand before they went up to break off bread and dip it in the cup. It was strange too. My husband joked he liked "Purell" and bread better than butter and bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have often withheld the chalice when the flu or such is rampent. The same can be said about the Holy water we use to cross ourselves as we enter the church.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the past 3 Sundays in church we did not do the greeting each other where we shake hands or hug, and our pastor recommends the elbow bump, which is kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was speaking with my stepmom yesterday and she said that she just crossed her arms and didn't take the chalice.
    I am Presbyterian and while the two ministers use the chalice - everyone else gets the little individual "shot glasses" and the person who prepares the bread or wafers uses gloves and then we pick up the host ourselves (and everyone is very careful). It's tricky.

    We do not shake hands during the "Peace of Christ" - it's fist bumps, bows or elbows.

    ReplyDelete