Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 March 2020

Time for a day out!

I'm a member of the Trefoil Guild, sort of Girlguiding for grown ups.  I belong St Luke's Guild which has only five members so each of us is very important.  We meet about once a month and often have a day out together.


Today we went to Epworth Old Rectory, home of John and Charles Wesley, the founders of Methodism.  It's a lovely old house originally built by their father when the previous rectory was burnt down.


The open season has only just started and the house is very quiet.  Today the only visitors were us and a coachload of American tourists and they'd finished going around when we arrived so we had the house to ourselves.  It's not really a very accessible house for someone on  mobility scooter so the others went off with a house guide for a full tour of the house and I had a volunteer guide all to myself!  I saw the ground floor with the entrance, the parlour and the kitchen but there was a book of pictures of the rest of the house and the guide talked me through it all.  The Wesleys were a fascinating family and Mrs Susanna Wesley was a formidable woman.

After going around the house we went out into the physic garden, a fascinating place.  All the plants are labelled not just with their name but also with their uses.  Maybe I should grow agrimony.  It it is used to cure raging madness.  

6 comments:

  1. How lovely to have the place virtually to yourselves. The physic garden sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and soothing! I'm in the deep south this week, and seeing green is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful solid looking house and that garden sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I belong to the Trefoil Guild here in Canada. We don't really get together much in my area, instead we help the active leaders with groups when requested.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first non Brit I have heard of who is in Trefoil!

      Delete