Search This Blog

Friday 3 April 2020

Sad News

I feel unbelievably sad today.  My dear friend Jack's wife died of cancer yesterday.  I have asked Jack's permission to write this post.  I can't visit him so this is my virtual hug for him and his family.

Mr and Mrs Jack were married for over fifty one years.  They were both from the same small Lincolnshire village so I think she was a hero as she knew perfectly well what she was taking on.  Our Jack had a reputation for being a "bit of a one" as we say in this part of the world. 

She was one of  several sisters and her sisters remained very important in her life even though they all moved from the area.  Mr and Mrs Jack settled down as Jack was a farm worker and they always lived with fifteen miles of their home village.  She was really pleased when her granddaughter told her just a few weeks ago that she and her husband and child were going back to live in that village.

Mr and Mrs Jack had two children. a boy and a girl.  Mrs Jack was an excellent family manager and ran a great home for the family to come back to.  When the children got bigger she went out to work but she took pride in running a beautiful home.  She also kept Jack in order - no mean feat!  Some time ago Jack (when he had been ill) wrote , "My wife has been brilliant .  I just couldn't have managed without her.   She's had to do everything: cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, putting the rubbish out, and taking our little dog for walks.  . . .   I say to all husbands, "Treasure, treat and look after your missis: they expect so little in return."  What a tribute!

I've always been made very welcome in their home and on a visit last year I had the privilege of blessing their first great grandchild.  Mr and Mrs Jack had three grandchildren who have been the joy of these last few years.  Such family events have been special as they have known for quite a while that she would not recover from this illness.

The months since her diagnosis have inevitably been difficult but as always Mrs Jack has organised her family.  They've made Christmas extra special, they've sorted birthdays and they have visited.  Visiting in a time of corona virus has been difficult and they have often had to use mobile phones and talk whilst looking at each other through windows.  I cannot begin to imagine how hard it has been.

And neither can I imagine how hard it is for Jack, a sweet and loving man, to go through this dreadful time all on his own.  Jack, I promise that as soon as I can I will come and given you a real hug.  S*d this virus!  Until then I will be having a word with The Boss.  Take care.  Love from The Vicar

Note:- Jack will be able to read your comments but not reply.

10 comments:

  1. Very sad. My sympathies to your dear friend Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences for your loss of your life partner, Mr. Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mary, I am so sorry. What a sad time all the way around. I know that you would like to be able to see Mr. Jack but he knows how you feel and hopefully the time will be right soon for a right proper gathering. Mr. Jack — I only know you through the Vicar but you are such a dear person and such a blessing and your stories have brought laughter and joy. This is a dreadful time for you but know that a lot of us are holding you up in prayer and will continue to do so. I am not surprised to learn of what a wonderful lady Mrs. Jack was and her memory will live on with you and the children and grands. I wish I could have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to you dear Jack and your family, sincere condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary, I'm so sorry to read this and I send you a virtual (((((((hug))))))), wishing it could be a proper, comforting physical hug. And my heart goes out to you, Jack, as you cope with such a terrible loss, especially in the situation we are currently enduring. Please know that you are held in the hearts of many people; take strength and courage from knowing this - and may God Bless you in your sorrow. May Mrs Jack now rest in peace, free from all pain. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack, I am so sorry that you have lost your wonderful partner. Loved your tribute to her when you were ill.

    Mary sorry that you lost a friend during this terrible time.

    God bless both you and Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack, so sorry to hear of your loss. It will be even more difficult at this terrible time but it sounds as though you have a wonderful family of many generations and they will be there for you. Please take some consolation from the fact that so many people who have never even met you are thinking of you now. Please take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary and Jack, sincere condolences. I think it is wonderful the way you loved and treasured your wife Jack, and cannot imagine how hard it must be for you in these "lockdown" times to suffer this loss. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sending you and Jack hugs, what a sad time to be parted from a dear loved one in a long marriage. Jack, people from all over the world, including me in California, are thinking of you in this time of sorrow, and I am praying that Jesus, our Comforter, will be with you.

    ReplyDelete