Search This Blog

Sunday 2 December 2018

Waiting

When I brought out my Advent calendar/stable yesterday, I also put out this figurine.  It's just a pregnant woman.  Any pregnant woman.  She's faceless but in her there is a sense of waiting, of anticipation.  She is Everywoman.  She comes out every Advent, the season which starts today (even though most Advent calendars started yesterday).  


On Friday I had lunch with a friend and as soon as we had ordered food she took out her phone and showed me photographs of her first grandchild, born last week.  Her heart was filled with love and pride.  This baby has been born from and into love.  Nuala will grow up secure and loved.

How did Mary feel? I really don't know. That's partly because I have never had children but it's also because her's was a unique pregnancy.  I think it may have been quite a lonely pregnancy too.  Eventually Joseph had his dream and so understood something of God's plan but Mary had disgraced herself in the eyes of most people around her.  Unwed and expectant, not a good combination in those days.  We call the coming of Jesus "good news" but I doubt if it was met with unmixed joy in that family.

Still today not all births in our world are anticipated with unmixed joy.  Sometimes there are just too many mouths to feed already.  Sometimes there is a high risk of birth defect or stillbirth.  Even today some pregnancies are hidden for shame.  Some women just don't want to be mothers.

My prayers this week are for all families in which a child will soon be born.  May they all know joy and wonder and love through their children.

I'm joining in with "Pause in Advent" hosted by Tracing Rainbows.  

7 comments:

  1. Lovely. May peace prevail on earth and in hearts and lives everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will join you and pray for families in which a child will soon be born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord bless those families where a child will be born in this Christmas season. Bless them with joy and hope and love. And especially comfort those where that birth is touched with sadness, because illness, disability or stillbirth bring clouds of sorrow. Thankyou that the Babe of Bethlehem is the one who stands beside us in our joy and our tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post-thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everywoman is beautiful. My older son's wife is overdue with her third little boy, she took a very long time to bond with baby no 2 because of postnatal depression, so I would really appreciate your prayers for that little family in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is a beautiful post! I love your thoughts on Mary being pregnant but it not being easy. So true and you are right about difficult situations with pregnancy. I have not got children but I hope that all who have them will love them truly! Coming over as a fellow Pause for Adventer!

    ReplyDelete