Search This Blog

Sunday 9 December 2018

From lands afar

I love nativity sets!  I used to have even more of them than I do now and even now I can display only a few each Christmas.  I haven't had this one out for several years and yet I think it is lovely.


Some time ago when I was blogging about the Christmas story someone commented that the characters I wrote about (angels, Mary, Joseph) were very British.  It wasn't a criticism: my commenter was saying that for her as an American I had brought a new dimension to the story and she was enjoying it.  It's also very true: Jesus was born thousands of years ago in a land thousands of miles from my home but he is born anew every year (every day!) in every land.  In my mind the lamb he is offered is a Lincoln Longwool but it could equally be a Pelibuey from South America.


So here is one of my nativity sets, this time from South America, Peru I think, and it is so different from all the others that I have.  These are definitely peasant figures from a country other than my own

And it's there to remind me not just of South America but of lands throughout the world where Christ's message of peace is heard and where there is need for it to be heard.  May Christ be born anew in every waiting heart, wherever that heart beats.
I'm joining in with Pause in Advent hosted by Tracing Rainbows.

18 comments:

  1. I have some small figures very similar with same hats and shepherd carrying lamb on shoulders and saw some nearly the same at the Crib Festival and they were among those from South America so I think Peru is right. I believe mine came from a Fairtrade shop a lot of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mine was a gift from my late sister - I have no idea where she got it.

      Delete
  2. Amen to this! Yes I think it's a Peruvian crib scene too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about you and the people you meet through WWDOP.

      Delete
  3. So pretty. I'm sure there ought to be an Alpaca there somewhere too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Nativity sets as well. My newest one came from Portugal. Our oldest son got me some angels from Peru that look very much the same as your Nativity pieces.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that's a lovely thought- yes, Christ in every country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the nativity! I have one more to put out and will post a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful set and uplifting to think our sweet Lord is Worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love nativity sets. When my kids were young, they used them as play figures to tell the Christmas story and although they ended up a bit worse for wear, they worked very well

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a small crotchet set of figures I bought from Tear Fund five or so years ago. They stay out all year on a bookshelf because they look as though they are having such a jolly time it seems harsh to out them away in a box!

    ReplyDelete