Search This Blog

Saturday 8 January 2022

Vegetables and ducks

There are some things which bring a smile to my face even on a dank January morning.

I'm trying to eke out the contents of my fridge for as long as possible before I have a delivery by Sainsbury but today I decided that I really wanted fresh vegetables.  So off I went to Redbourne, a small village a few miles from here, where there is a wayside vegetable stall. 

It's a tiny stall with an honesty box and each morning it is wheeled out to its place near the village green.  Some produce is grown by the stall holder and some he gets from a wholesaler but it's all lovey stuff and I don't have to go into a shops to get it.  

As well as the expected root vegetables and greens he had free range eggs, pots of snowdrops and pots of hyacinths.  I bought some of each along with my carrots, swede, celeriac and cabbage.


And when I looked across the road there was this waddling of ducks especially for my entertainment.

Plenty to bring a smile to my face!

12 comments:

  1. How nice tohave such fresh vegetables, and a good variety also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The selection is actually a little limited but as I was the second customer of the day it was at its best. I bought some nice stuff.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely place! I wish we had places like this. We do have some farmers markets but mostly in the summer. The flowers are lovely. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Famers Markets a little too expensive! This is just the veggies but I like to support a small enterprise like this.

      Delete
  3. Almost like having your own farm without the work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wish that we had something similar to that here. I really dislike going to our farmers market in the spring and summer because of all the people there.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really comparable with a farmers market. What I have shown you is nearly all he offers and the selection was at its best as I was only the second customer of the day.

      Delete
  5. Well done. I have celeriac growing in my garden and its doing well so I'm looking forward to harvest in the Autumn. Currently my fresh veges all come from my garden so I only have to buy my fruit but we have apricots, plums, peaches and nectarines all in season or coming in to season. And there are still strawberries available at a reasonable price. I love fresh fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever been successful with celeriac but I don't think we've tried it in my present garden. And I'm not currently self-sufficient in veg. (See my next post)

      Delete
  6. That is very cool .. would love to have something like that in the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete