Search This Blog

Sunday 2 January 2022

Life's little pleasures

 

Life is full of simple pleasures if only we take the time to see them!  Or maybe take time to hear, smell, taste, touch, FEEL them!   I had a truly simple pleasure today: a plain lamb casserole.

I love the special foods we have around Christmas: sausage rolls, cake, turkey, mice pies;  I love the leftovers however they come; but there is something very special about that first Sunday dinner of the New Year.  Today I had a simple lamb casserole with rich gravy with a baked potato, swede and carrot and a few peas.  Delicious!  Sorry, I didn't even take a photo!
January is my special time for appreciating the simple pleasures of life and my mind has been turning to the famous poem by the Welsh poet, W H Davies.  Americans and Brits pronounce the title very differently but I think we can all appreciate the thought.


Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?-

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


7 comments:

  1. Very nice poem. I don't read much poetry except for what bloggers offer so thanks for enriching my poetry experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reminder to slow down a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lamb casserole or stew is one of my favourites too with leeks and called Cawl in Wales And of course suet dumplings flavoured with thyme.. ooo my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reminders to look for the joy and simple pleasures all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely poem .. and a good reminder! I am learning to take pleasure in the small things .. a hot cup of coffee .. the smell of a freshly opened book .. the innocent words of a tiny grandchild .. so much good in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago I started a gratitude journal and it helps me remember all those little simple things that bring me pleasure. Today as I went for my morning walk in the dark I noticed that the diamond glints on the snow sparkled so wonderfully under the street lights. Brought a smile to my face.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book too; I am compiling a list of books that bring me pleasure. Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete