Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 January 2022

The Kilt

Poinsettias in mixed fabrics

When I made poinsettias for wreaths at Christmas I used some tartan patterned fabric for a few of them.  I decided I wanted to do some more crafts with tartan so I went on eBay and bought a ladies' woollen kilt.  Which I forgot to photograph.  Sorry.

First thing was to unpick it.  It had been sewn with invisible thread and had been very well sewn!  Not easy but a couple of evenings later I had a piece of fabric measuring 72 inches by 28 inches.  The pleats were permanently pressed in.  The next job was to felt it in a very hot wash.  And then I put it through the tumble dryer for good measure.  That got rid of the pleats.

Now the fabric measures 66 inches by 24 inches.  Not bad for £8 including postage.   I've ironed it and it is ready for me to start my first project.  I'll let you know how I get on.  

(Just in case anyone thinks this is an outrageous waste of a good quality kilt, I was the only bidder for it on eBay.  If anyone else had wanted it I would have been happy to be outbid.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm really curious to see what you'll make. My daughter repurposes wool garments and sweaters she purchases at thrift stores, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often pick up clothing at the second hand store to be used for the fabric. Saves them discarding the item and gives me something to work with.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete