Search This Blog

Thursday 10 September 2020

Thank you, NHS



I don't think there has ever been a year when people have said, "Thank you, NHS" more frequently.  Our health service has responded magnificently to the Covid crisis.  But there are more illnesses than "just" covid making demands on the medics.  I've just been making my own demands.

I have a faulty gene which means that I have a very high chance of developing breast or ovarian cancer.  Several years ago I had bilateral mastectomy and an oophorectomy to minimise my risk but I still have a risk.  I check my "breasts" regularly which isn't easy as the surgery left me with very lumpy pseudo-breasts.  Last month I felt a lump and my bra became very uncomfortable.  I contacted our local breast care service (I'm allowed to bypass the GP) and made an urgent appointment.  Before I could go in my breast started to "weep".

Last week I had a clinical examination, a mammogram and an ultrasound scan and samples were taken for examination.  Today I have the all-clear.  My lump was a cyst which had burst harmlessly.

Thank you

9 comments:

  1. Whew! I can't imagine how stressful that must have been. What great news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, how frightening. I'm so glad to read that you have been given the all-clear and also that you didn't have to wait endlessly for the results of all those tests. Even so, it must have been a huge worry for you; I hope you were able to confide in someone and have their support. (((((gentle hugs))))) - Rosemary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear your good results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PTL for a speedy diagnosis and for a positive one at that! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness all was well. I am so happy for you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been checking in on your blogs for a little while. I enjoy both of them. I am very glad all is well with you. Best, Celie in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! So glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete