Search This Blog

Sunday 27 September 2020

Adjusting 8: 200 days

 

It was 11th March when I decided that I was too uncomfortable to go out.  Corona virus was hitting the headlines but there was no lockdown.  Many countries were banning international flights but on the 12th the UK government advice was just don't go on a cruise!  Other European countries were closing schools or going into lockdown but the UK was propounding "herd immunity" conveniently forgetting that immunity comes only after most of the "herd" has had the disease.  

Lockdown didn't start officially in the UK until 23rd March but I count my "withdrawal" from 11th March, hence 200 days.  I emerged a little during August/early September but I've largely withdrawn again now.  During my withdrawal I've scanned a lot of photographs, made numerous phone calls,  completed craft projects, experimented with recipes, written letters and a thousand and one more things.  I've tried to think of this as a time when my cry of "Stop the world, I want to get off" has been answered, like it or not, so I have tried to make the best of it.  It's been a time of putting my life in order so that one day (DV) my life will be better than ever.  

I've been grateful for the help of others (shopping etc.) but I have tried to be of service by telephoning people who are alone and by doing knitting for various charities.  I've been involved in leading a small on line worship group and I have written "Reflections" for our deanery newsletter so I have tried to keep by brain working.  

I've taken care to dress properly and to eat properly.  I've written this blog and a daily diary to keep myself in order.  200 days and nearly fifty thousand words in I think I'm as sane as I was before this withdrawal started (my standards of sanity are quite low!). 

Which all leaves me wondering, what things have helped you?


18 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have made the best of things. I like the quiet life but need my walks out into the country away from people. I also have regular Zoom bible meetings and chats afterwards with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like going off on my trundle truck for a "walk". My winter plan involves a monthly trundle truck day when I go somewhere different and have a longer "walk".

      Delete
  2. Working from home has gotten old-I feel i have no respite, but then I remember I am working, we have income. And, y job is for the community so that is helpful to remember. Day to day though, it is my dog that has helped me. He needs daily walks, and paly, and snuggles and so do I so we help each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really missed having a dog so I envy you that one! I worked from home for thirty years and I know just what it is like to feel that you've never "done" when there is no office to drive away from.

      Delete
  3. The few things that have helped me substantially are streaming church services. Our church has them every Sunday morning at 8:30 then we follow with a WebEx Sunday school class. I also have regular FaceTime calls with my granddaughter and that brightens my life.
    The everyday sameness makes my world feels claustrophobic now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching services on line most Sundays and I will be leading a zoom service tonight. I've no grandchildren but one of my friends joins me each week for a zoom coffee break.

      Delete
  4. Writing poetry, creating a prayer book and other craft projects. Bible journaling and a couple of on line courses as well as technology used to keep the family together. Photography and the dog. I feel very blessed that I have so much to fill my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly enjoyed your blog about how you have filled your days.

      Delete
  5. Mary, you could have a lovely companion and also provide a loving home to a pet whose owner can no longer look after it. https://cinnamon.org.uk/cinnamon-trust/
    You've met Benji (he who likes to get in the way of your trundle truck!) He's from the Cinnamon Trust and I am his long term foster carer. A pet from there doesn't cost anything, unlike other pet rescue centres. In fact when I had Benji, he came with a collar, extending lead, and a whole host of things necessary for his well-being - pheromone calming spray to help him to settle, flea powder, worming tablets, etc. If at any time you had to go into hospital, the Cinnamon Trust would make sure he was looked after until you were able to take care of him again; CT volunteers will walk a pet if needed and there's always someone on the end of a phone to help and advise. I can see you trundling along with a (better trained than my Benji) dog trotting by your side as you both head off for a walk in the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously thinking about a dog but it will take a lot of serious thinking. I would also invest in 1 to 1 training to teach a dog to walk to wheel (rather than walk to heel),

      Delete
  6. I will be slowly withdrawing as well. Cases are on the upswing here and I want to stay healthy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more of us who can withdraw and protect our health the better it will be for everybody.

      Delete
  7. I'm withdrawing from my booked and paid for holiday that is supposed to start on Friday 2nd October. I just don't feel confident that it will be a safe place to be, so I shall stay in my own home instead. An expensive decision but at least I will be relaxed here. I shall take inspiration from Pat (Weaver) who took a picnic in her car, parked up and enjoyed the fresh air and views. What a good idea - and Benji will enjoy a wander in a new area, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are doing a lot of similar things. I walk my dog two times a day, wearing a mask. There is a lot of space between anyone walking and me. I am writing postcards to residents of nursing homes for a group I am in (I You Venture), and Zooming for a Bible study with my church. Oh, plus my church has inside, outdoor and online services. At the church all are required to wear masks and sit six feet apart. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we are adjusting, however reluctantly, to the need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My lockdown was complicated by the broken wrist but for the most part we have just kept to our usual routine. We are homebodies anyway so it hasn’t been that awful. Grocery shopping has been a bit of a challenge and I miss church but now that my wrist is healed I am getting back to things as usual. And facilitating Bean’s remote learning — which means I just watch her and make she she stays on task.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The worst of it is that there doesn't seem to be any end to it. We're back under local restrictions though it's nowhere near as strict as lockdown was but people are just flouting the rules so I really don't know where it's going to end. Glad you've made the most of your time indoors, you've been very productive with all that you've achieved.

    ReplyDelete