Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 November 2018

A heart-stopping moment

Why is that all cancer checks are so inelegant?  For cervical cancer it involves a doctor armed with the Eiffel Tower.  Bowel cancer screening is in the privacy of one's home but that's the only thing to be said in its favour.  And mammograms involve standing in weird positions while one's boobs are crushed in a vice.

I am the unfortunate possessor of the duff BRCA2 gene which means that my lifetime risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer is appallingly high so a few years ago my ovaries and boobs were removed to reduce the risk.   However, it only reduces the risk - it doesn't take it away altogether so every year I attend our local hospital for screening.  A few weeks ago I had a mammogram and yesterday I went for my annual clinical examination.

I wasn't particularly worried until the doctor said, "Can you just feel here and check your breast".  I felt and I checked and there was a pea-sized lump which I'd never noticed before.  A heart stopping moment indeed.  Anyway, I was sent immediately for an ultrasound examination and everything was pronounced hunky dory.  A bit of scar tissue was responsible for my lump.  

And suddenly the indignity no longer mattered.  Thanks to NHS screening I am still safe.  And my life can go on as normal

22 comments:

  1. So glad all was OK. I had "assumed the position" for a smear test and as the Dr approached with her speculum, a HUGE bumble bee flew in the window. I promptly put my knees together and refused to continue till t had buzzed off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news for you, what a relief. The NHS are marvellous. The doctor found a lump in my breast during my post natal examination. It was October 1980 and I was sent miles away to Southend as they were the only hospital at the time to have a mammogram. Everything was declared ok. Like you my heart skipped a beat, thinking I've just brought our first child into the world and I could be leaving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how quickly mammograms have become commonplace! Glad that 38 years on you are here to tell the tale,

      Delete
  3. Very good news, so pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - the ultrasound is the ultra assurance as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
  4. I had to have an ultrasound after my first mammogram which turned out to be thickened milk ducts. I spent a week waiting for the ultra ound but the doctor showed me the affected area and we chatted while she was doing it. Could hardly walk down the stairs from the screening clinic as the releif took away the power to my legs. Always done the poo test as my mother died of colo-rectal cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled all is well, what a worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Mary, I am so glad you are ok! Moments like that are heart stopping but so glad it was found deemed ok. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that feeling. A few years ago, I found a lump on my breast. Just a tiny pea-sized lump, but my goodness how it frightenened me. I saw my doctor and before I knew it I was booked in for a biopsy. The lump was removed and I waited for the results. The longest 12 days of my life - and I hadn't told a soul. I needed to be sure of what I might be facing. So, so relieved when I was told it was 'just a cyst' and absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Weep? Boy, did I weep. And destroyed the daily diary I had started to write about 'My Journey'. Idiot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not idiot. Human. My wait was less than half an hour, surviving twelve days without telling anyone - I can't begin to imagine.

      Delete
  8. I did all the awful checks regularly for years, and was shocked last year when spotting occurred. 15+ years after any periods. By coincidence a friend had just had a similar experience and had waited three months to react and then it was too late. So I leapt into action. The wonderful NHS reacted immediately and 3 weeks later I was in surgery and all was resolved. Only stupid waiting around was the final all clear letter was not sent out till I phoned them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cautionary tale indeed. Good to know all is now well for you too.

      Delete
  9. Really pleased for you, Mary. A great relief! As one who has been there I do agree that all these tests are a bind but life saving. Why do they stop routine tests so early? Haven't had a smear test for years...I am assuming that all the blood tests and scans etc. are keeping me on the straight and narrow!! Have a great week. Many thanks for the advent calendar, it arrived yesterday. Mx

    ReplyDelete