Search This Blog

Friday 30 March 2018

Simple pleasures of an extended family

I have no immediate family.  I never married and never had any children.  My only sister died some years ago and her only son lives in Belgium.  I also have an elderly aunt who lives here in Caistor.

However, I am richly blessed with cousins.  I had eight on my Mother's side of my family and nineteen on my Father's side.  Of those twenty seven, nine have died. 

I'm sure there were more than this.  I wonder where the others went?
Some I see very infrequently but several of them live within easy distance and many are ready to help me as soon as they receive a phone call.  But what is even lovelier is that they're not just at the other end of a phone line when I yell, we also meet up for the pleasure of each other's company.  

On the first Good Friday after I came to live here in Caistor Auntie Hettie invited me for Hot Cross Buns for breakfast.  Not just any buns, but Hot Cross Buns which she had freshly made on Good Friday morning.  What a labour of love!  She continued the tradition until a few years ago and her daughter Carrie took over.

And so this morning I had breakfast at Auntie Hettie's.  Hot, Hot Cross Buns.  Dripping with butter.

This simple pleasure is two-fold.  First there are the Buns themselves.  Good traditional food and delicious.  But the second is the joy of being part of an extended family and being valued in that family.

6 comments:

  1. That is so lovely. I wish I stayed connected to my cousins more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot cross buns are very special, and home made are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being an "only" myself, my first friends were my cousins and one, in particular, is like a sister to me. I value those relationships greatly -- they are special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traditional and delicious - even more so when they are served with love, as well as butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having 'immediate family' doesn't qualify for having company, Mary. I have 3 sons but it doesn't guarantee having company or even a phone call on 'special'days. This evening I walked down to our village shop and treated myself to some chocolate, some wine, a packet of ginger biscuits and a Cherry & Walnut Cake! Just because I could - and I knew it was the only way I could make this weekend any different to others. However, tomorrow I shall nip over to youngest son's home to give my youngest grandchildren their Easter presents. Then off for a nice walk with Benji.

    ReplyDelete