Search This Blog

Friday 28 April 2023

N is for Nancy

 Nancy was my mother.  I've written about her several times over the years but I've never told you about the time she was the (late) Queen's understudy.



When the Queen did an official visit to open or inspect anything,  timings, safety etc had to be checked.  Obviously HM knew exactly what she was doing but anyone due to be presented to her wouldn't be so sure.  There would be a rehearsal so that everything would be alright on the big day.



In 1974 the Queen came to open a major steelplant in Scunthorpe but my mum (who was about the same height) was the understudy for the walk through.  She had to arrive in the a car so positioning could be checked and red carpets perfected and then she walked though the steelworks.  The stopwatch was in use throughout.

At one point she caught her heel on one of the many railway tracks which run through the works and the rehearsal had to stop until the problem was sorted.  Everybody practised bows and curtsies, the photographers checked their angles then everyone went home (slightly more) confident about The Big Day.


12 comments:

  1. She carries her handbag in a very regal style - if she was Queen for the day, did that make you the Princess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have been there but was in Nigeria. I don't thinkIwould have been avery good princess!

      Delete
  2. Very Royal lady, she does look the part, our mum's always dressed up so beautifully, a perfect memory for you to treasure, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting bit of family lore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful memory and experience for your mom. Will you tell us what you were doing in Nigeria?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on Voluntary Service Overseas, working as a librarian, my originalprofession. I was setting up school libraries after the devastation of the Biafran civil war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic story. Wonderful that you have the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could have seen her. I would have teased her rotten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would definitely have been something to see and talk about. I can see you teasing her.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So could she. I think she was relieved that I wasn't there!

      Delete