Search This Blog

Monday 24 April 2023

M is for Ministry

 I haven't done an alphabet post for ages and when I checked I found the next letter due was M which seemed very opportune as twenty nine years ago, on 24th April 1994, I knelt in Lichfield Cathedral to be ordained as a priest.

24thApril 1994

It was a momentous day and not just for me.  On 23rd and 24th April the first fifty one women to be priests in the Diocese of Lichfield were ordained.  In some dioceses there were protests but the Lichfield ordinations were joyful and calm.  The evening of that same day I celebrated the Eucharist for the first time in Shrewsbury Abbey.

There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then.  It's no good asking me to kneel now - that's not going to happen!  I served as curate at Shrewsbury for a further year then moved back to Lincolnshire to be incumbent of five parishes.  Thirteen years ago I retired and I think I have led Sunday worship in at least thirty different churches during my retirement.

Soon my public ministry will reduce further and eventually the time will come to hang up my dog collar. For the moment I still help out a few times a month but my health is making this increasingly difficult and I don't want to wait until a congregation saiys "Enough is enough!"  but I shall never cease to give thanks for that wonderful day back in 1994.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 29 years... But even when you "hang up your dog collar", there will still be a ministry of some sort waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I shall still be a telephone listener for people whp are isolated. That was so important during lockdown and has continued. I also find myself speaking out in support of housebound people. And the ministry of prayer never ends.

      Delete
  2. Memorable day for so many reasons, do we ever give up the day job, I've been retired for 4 years and still echo what I did everyday for my younger years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we never give it up, we develop what we learned in the day job and find new ways of expressing it. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Wow! How fantastic. What a great day to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That was a milestone ordination for you and your denomination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. A remarkable achievement. I wish you a continued a profitable ministry even if different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops that last comment was me. Margaret Stedman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks,Margaret. My future (as always) is in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete