Search This Blog

Friday 5 May 2023

Coronation 1953

No, I'm not on this one!

 To be honest, I don't remember it!  I was less than two years old but I was Miss Coronation Queen for our street.  

I lived on a quiet street and there would  not have been many cars around.  Residents just decided anong themselves to have a street party - there was no need to ask anyone's permission in those days!  Dressing up costumes were all home made.

We lived about half way along the street so my parents and our neighbours took their dining tables outside and all the children had a feast - quite an event in those years of post war austerity!  I am the little tot at the far end of the table.

All schoolchildren received a commemorative mug from the Local Education Authority.  I was far too young to be at school so my parents bought me my commemorative gift themselves, this replica of the anointing spoon.











12 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift for your parents to have brought for you. Have you ever used it for anything [anointing, sprinkling sugar on pancakes, serving fruit salad....]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I took it out of its box for the first time to photograph it today! I wasnever allowed toplay with it as a child.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I feel very lucky that I have these mementoes.

      Delete
  3. I remember watching Queen Elizabeth’s coronation in 1953 on our very small, black and white tv. I remember, mostly, the carriage and I remember her sitting on that throne, I can’t remember what it is called, the really old wooden one. It was so exciting and fairytale like. I will be watching tomorrow at 4 a.m Texas time. Nothing brings out the ancestry in people like a good royal event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may mean the Coronation Chair, which contains the Stone of Destiny or Stone of Scone. (for Scone say Skoon)

      Delete
  4. That is so cool. I'll be watching it in California. I enjoy all the pomp and ceremony and tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great memory, to be the Miss Coronation for your street party and to still have the souvenir spoon. A part of history that you participated in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't remember it but to know gives me a warm fuzzy thought!

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful present! Practical too, more than a mug as it is less likely to get broken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't I a lucky girl. The box (not shown) also identifies it as a 1953 souvenir.

    ReplyDelete