Search This Blog

Friday 10 September 2021

It's good to talk!

Ever since the first lockdown started I've had a monthly zoom with a couple of friends, Sandie and Jan. (Before that we used to meet for pub lunches.)   They are sisters and I can't remember not knowing them.  We are "Coffee Kids", still kids despite our ages ranging from 69 to 77!


Back in 1954 a group of eight women decided to meet each Tuesday and they continued to meet every week for over fifty years.  At first it was a cup of Nescafe, a real treat in those years of post war austerity.  (Anybody else remember those tiny tins of coffee powder? )  They were The Coffee Girls.  It's hard to think of a similar group today as most women go out to work but I suspect that in those days some sort of a meet-up was an important defence against being driven crazy by the endless round of caring for husband and children alone at home.

As well as the weekly Coffee Morning they had days out together, they had parties, when one couple bought a narrow boat they had day trips on the canals.  Those women and their husbands were all Aunties and Uncles to me.  

The last four Coffee Girls in 2002

As years went by inevitably those Aunties and Uncles died.  Around twenty years ago I had a party for the four remaining ladies at that time and as many Coffee Kids as I could trace.  It was good to catch up with everyone.

So, once a month, Sandie, Jan and I, each in our own homes, make a cup of coffee and settle down for a chat to celebrate a friendship of 67 years.  

It's good to talk.



3 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to keep doing, and to remember your mom and friends. About three weeks ago, I ran into a friend of my mom's that was a good 10 years younger than her, but she would pick my mom up for their card club. She's now the age my mom was when she died, but she looked spry and healthy. She probably is the last of my mom's last card playing group. The last of my mom's highschool friends passed away just a few years ago. I like to keep them all in my thoughts time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best friend took me out to lunch on Tuesday - we've been friends for half a century, and now we've retired, she's less than 3 miles away. We had a really long lunch and a good "chinwag" It is indeed good to talk - especially with a friend who has known you forever and you can really 'be yourself' and talk about the things that matter- as well as the trivia that doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful to keep in touch all those years.

    ReplyDelete