Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 September 2021

Greengages

 We may all speak English (of one variety or another) but we all manage to use words which confuse or puzzle other nations.

My American readers seem not to have come across greengages before,  Actually, when I think about it, some British readers may not have come across them either.  I've never seen them for sale in a supermarket or greengrocer, just the (very) occasional wayside stall and even then, I can't remember when I last saw them for sale.  

They are tiny plums, green even when fully ripe.  They have quite a delicate flavour compared to, say, a Victoria and certainly they are much less highly flavoured than a damson.  They are slightly tart and, other than in jam or chutney, I've only ever eaten them stewed.  They have a stone which is quite large considering the size of the fruit and I had to stone around 150 greengages to get one kilo of stoned fruit.  I've put a £1 coin with the gages in the photo to give you an idea of size.


Rumer Godden wrote a book, "The Greengage Summer" (never read it myself) which was made into a film starring Kenneth More and Susannah York in 1958.  It was released as "The Loss of Innocence" in the USA.

5 comments:

  1. Our greengrocer has lovely ripe greengages every year. Not at all tart, Also In Waitrose but they use plastic wrappings so please don’t buy them.
    The Greengage Summer is a book well worth reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love greengages. It is almost 300 years since Sir William Gage brought some to cultivate on his estate in Suffolk. This summer we've been delighted to see them on sale at the place where we buy all our fruit and veg. "Claude Reine" is a lovely variety. I keep them in the fridge, but bring them to room temperature so we can each eat three or four for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Google after I read the post, and I think I woudl ove jelly made from them. I don't know where they might be found in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd heard of them but was never really sure what they looked at. I've never seen them for sale here nor heard of jam made from them. I do like the lovely bright colour!

    ReplyDelete