Search This Blog

Thursday 2 July 2020

Adjusting 5

Way back in March when I decided to withdraw into my home for my own safety, I started to keep a diary "Personal thoughts during a pandemic" and I have made entries in that journal ever since.  I'm very "lucky" - I don't have children or grandchildren whom I am desperate to hug (which is what most of my friends are missing most, I think) and my basic income is secure so my worries are minimal.

To be honest I have sailed through lock down and for the most part I have enjoyed it!  I have taken the time to smell the roses and the lavender, to listen intently to the blackbird,  and to savour life.  I've plenty of hobbies and plenty of stash to enjoy those hobbies.  Five years lock down wouldn't exhaust the stash.  Now Jack is back looking after me I have a garden to relax in even though I am missing Annie-The-Home-Enhancer and my house isn't quite as relaxing as it was!

But it isn't plain sailing.  During lock-down I have suffered four bereavements - the two I've blogged about and two other very close friends.  None was covid related but all have been made more difficult because of the current circumstances.   I can't give the families the hugs which I would normally react with.

I've been quite involved in ministry both by being a telephone pastor and in writing pieces for reflection.  I've valued the pastoral ministry of others.  I've joined in Zoom and YouTube worship but I have missed standing next to other Christians to praise God and I have missed leading worship. 

Friends have been kind in shopping for me and Sainsbury's have delivered regularly but I'd like to choose my own fruit and veg and discuss my purchases with my butcher.

One of my slightly unusual "activities"  during lock down has been regular corona virus testing.  You may notice in news bulletins that calculations are made on how the virus is spreading (or not) and that about 11,000 people are being tested regularly to help in the calculations.  Well, I'm one of 'em!  I was invited by The Office for National Statistics.   I have the swab test (which indicates whether I have the virus at the time of testing) very frequently and also have a blood test (which shows if I have antibodies as a result of having had it) occasionally and apart from that I just do whatever I would do anyway under the present regulations.  I would be told if I have the active virus but not if I my antibody test shows that I have had it.  This means that my behaviour is unaffected by the results.  I'm really pleased to help in this way and they also give me a little something for the inconvenience!

6 comments:

  1. How interesting to be part of this testing process - good for you.
    I'm not aware of any such testing being done here although it is entirely possible of course. I have not gone for testing as I have been very careful on the few outings that I do - follow all protocols etc. but I would be interested in getting the anti-body test when it becomes more generally available. I had some mild symptoms (dry cough, weird headache & more tiredness than usual) right before we went into lockdown. I work downtown at my large church and we run (or did run) both meal programs for the city's poor & homeless plus a program for students from all around the world to practice their English. The week before shutdown my table consisted of students from China, Hong Kong, Japan, S. Korea and Iran!
    Even though we are allowed to reopen our church (with lots of rules & regs) we have decided not to until September. We provide a weekly Youtube sermon (which has been extremely well received - we average over 400 hits per week) and we have Zoom "Coffee Hour" and Bible Study groups as well. I have also been volunteering with our Pastoral Care Team to do phone arounds as needed. We have had one death among the congregation that has hit people hard - not Covid-19 and she was 89 but still, it was unexpected. The family has promised a Celebration of Life service to honour her once we are able as we would like to give her a proper send off!
    Take care - enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on a work group to figure out testing needs in child care and school settings-do you tet everyone before reopening, test if there is a certain # in a community, test if a certain number of children or adults test positive through another testing process. I know there is some organized testing for research purposes, so fascinating to learn I "know" someone involved. Thank you for being a prat of it and let;s hope all our countries share what we learn so we can get the vaccine and treatment needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are safe and well with lots of hobbies to keep you busy. Sorry to read of your losses since condolences. I hadn't realised that you were part of the testing team for the statistics, well done you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't realize you are being tested regularly. It's a comfort to know you don't have it.
    I did get your last letter last week and sent another to you.
    3 more days of quarantine and then we have a week and a half before we move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on being part of this testing. How wonderful that the UK is doing this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to hear you are, in the main, sailing through the lockdown OK. I haven't much to complain about, but it is an underlying daily stress, since I am being good and not going anywhere where people are. I am attending church online and Zooming too. How good you are participating in the study.

    ReplyDelete