Search This Blog

Friday 19 June 2020

Auntie Bettie

I'm having a very sad day today.  I have said my final goodbyes to my Auntie Bettie.  In previous posts I've called her Auntie Hettie as I always change people's names on my blog but now she has died I'll call her Auntie Bettie.  
Bettie and I on her 92nd birthday

Bettie was my mum's little sister.  There was an eight year age difference between them and Bettie spent a lot of her childhood being minded by Mother as Grandma was a very busy farmer's wife.  Bettie was 15 when my parents were married and she was chief bridesmaid.   There was a very special bond between Bettie and my sister who was born when Bettie was 18.  

Bettie was the most wonderful aunt any child could hope for!  She was a primary school teacher and enjoyed being with children but when she was with us she was such fun, taking us on picnics or visits to the seaside or Father Christmas.  She had a skill which I have never known in anyone else - she could touch the end of her nose with her tongue!  This would have us all in fits of laughter and I'll bet some people reading this can no more resist having a go than we could as children.  

She didn't find romance herself until she was thirty six and she married Gordon.  They had two children and her years as a wife and mum were for her the best years.  Sadly the marriage lasted only twenty two years for Gordon died very suddenly when he was in his fifties leaving Bettie with a daughter away at college and a son still in his teens.

That was nearly forty years ago but Bettie has always been a well loved and respected member of the community here in Caistor.  She was active in the British  Legion and the Methodist chapel.  She was a member of the Women's Institute and the (then) Women's Voluntary Service.  It was because of Bettie that I came to live in Caistor - I wanted the opportunity for as wonderful a life as she was living.

Dying in a time of corona virus has meant that she has had very limited visitors and her care has fallen totally on her daughter who has been magnificent.  Today just her son, her daughter and I joined the minister for a very quiet burial, nothing like the huge funeral there would have been in normal times but the streets were lined with people paying their respects.

I have been privileged to be her niece.  

15 comments:

  1. So sorry that you have lost such a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tribute to your Aunt Bettie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to a remarkable woman! Wishing you comfort and peace as you miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful tribute. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was a very special lady and that was a lovely tribute to her. It sounds as though she was very much a do-er and will be missed. Lovely that some people were able to line the streets to pay their respects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could give you more than just a cyber hug, Mary, but please count yourself well and truly (((((((hugged))))))). So sorry to read that you have lost your beloved Aunt Bettie; she sounds such a wonderful lady. Though the attendees were few thanks to the coronavirus restrictions, it's lovely to know that so many people were determined to show their respect for her. I trust you will find comfort from friends and memories in the following days and weeks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. I enjoyed meeting her in your stores. What a lovely photo of you both. And-I share Bettie's unique talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love and prayers for you and your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss. But glad to read that people still took the time to come out and show their respects in the only way that we could.
    We lost a member of our church last week - she was 89 and still going strong so it was a bit of a shock to people and of course there were only a total of 10 at her funeral. The family has promised that there will be a proper celebration of her life once we can all get together again.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. I too had an aunt that was like another mother to me so I know how you feel. By the way, I did try the tongue thing and I think I have an oddly short tongue. Prayers for you Mary during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just reading this. I'm sorry to hear you've lost a loved one. I'll have to write you another letter expalining where I've been though if you read my blog you'll get the backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sorry for your loss. What wonderful memories of a loving woman.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a nice photo of you two together, and it sounds like she was both an ideal aunt to you and led a fulfilled life. Sad days for you and I am sending you a hug from across the Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thats sad, but what wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete