Search This Blog

Saturday 23 June 2018

A friend for Basil

Plas Newydd

It rains a lot in Wales.  A Very Lot.  On my first holiday there (when I was six) Mother had to buy me some new wellies.  However we saw waterfalls at their very best (or at least that's what the landlady said).

The Menai Straits from Plas Newydd


But lots of rain means well watered gardens so whilst I was in Wales this time I went to see a couple of the National Trust offerings.


Pladd Newydd (which overlooks the Menai Straits from the Angelsey side) was a bit "exciting" to see from a trundle truck as it is very sloping.  The views are spectacular.  I didn't go into the house  (many houses allow wheelchairs but not trundle trucks) but I enjoyed the wonderful  trees planted decades ago and now at their perfection.  

From Bodnant looking towards Snowdonia
The best garden I visited was Bodnant.  Here there are spectacular natural views combined with wonderful planting.


Basil's
And whilst walking around I found a friend for Basil!


8 comments:

  1. Who is Basil? Those Welsh names are so unfamiliar to my American ears. I hope you did get some sun while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Marcia. If you hover over the word "Basil" it will take you to http://trundlingthroughlife.blogspot.com/2018/06/brightwater-gardens.html and there you can find out about Basil.

      Delete
    2. And the place names sound very weird to our English ears too. However, my Welsh friends tell me that nothing could be as weird as my pronunciation of Welsh.

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes, Basil the robot lawnmower. Now I remember. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. -clapping hands- A friend for Basil!!!! So you saw another one of those automatic lawn cutters. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity they live a couple of hundred miles apart,

      Delete
  3. Oh how I would love to be able to hear the English speak. And the Welsh. And the Irish. And the Scottish. Love the sounds of (foreign to my ears) speech. Lovely... Lovely... Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a huge variety of accents even within the British Isles. But my attempts to pronounce Welsh names cause Welsh speakers to shudder. Did you realise that Welsh really is a completely different language (although most Welsh people are also fluent in English)?

      Delete