Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 May 2018

Going for a walk

Going for a walk for me means staggering a hundred yards.  And that's on a good day.

My walking companions

Unless, of course, I take the trundle truck.  The TT means that I can go to lots of places.  The problem is that I don't know until I get there whether or not the TT will be happy.  TT is rather more fussy than two human feet.  It doesn't like mud or overly-steep inclines.  It loathes deep leaves and definitely won't make friends with stiles.  All of which means that although I enjoy my "walks" I usually need someone with me when I explore a new walk.  

Enzo


Last night TT and I went to a new-to-us walk though Willingham Woods.  (I wrote about Willingham Church here.)  It was a Trefoil Guild walk but just three of us went.  It didn't take us long to find a friend.  Enzo was very happy to be petted and told how gorgeous he is.  




We enjoyed the rhododendrons.  Yes, I know they are highly invasive in woodland but at this time of year they are so pretty.  

We walked for about an hour then found a picnic bench to share the hot drinks one of our number had brought along.  A very pleasant evening out.

7 comments:

  1. I use http://row.lincolnshire.gov.uk it is a Lincolnshire countryside map of public walks, bridleways, etc. You can click to have it show 'furniture' - stiles, bridges, etc... I find it quite helpful these days!

    Your walk sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that one Elaine. I shall have a look. I don't think anything will replace somebody going with me the first time though.

      Delete
  2. Rhododendrons invasive? I guess they're native to the US. They are in full bloom here now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've hit the nail on the head, Marcia. They are not a native plant here - they were introduced in the nineteenth century. It has spread and displaced our native "understorey". It's very pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sigh... That introduction of non native plants. Such an awful happening. But it happens, all over. And loss of native plants, is a result. -sigh-

      Delete
  4. "...staggering a hundred yards..." That would be amazing, if I could do that!!!! -smile- My walking is not what it used to be, shall we say?!? I get off balance, and it makes me mad. But then, why should it? I am 81 and now have an extreme Pear Shape. So my balance point is much different.

    A walk though Willingham Woods. What a delightful name. I do love all the delightful names of your 'places'. So much prettier than ours.

    I looked up a picture of your TT. Quite a cool little 'get-around.' Except that you say it is "moody." So that's not so good, for a walk in a woods.

    Thank you for letting me know, that I am not the only one, who can't go meandering around the countryside, like so many bloggers do. :-)

    A 'Nana' in the north east of the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi WOW. My trundle truck is one of my best friends - we go everywhere together. It's a "Pavement Scooter" so I shouldn't really be using it like this (according to the manufacturer) but even if it doesn't last as long as it should, I want to go off-roading.

      You've got a bit of a lead on me age-wise. I want to carry on staggering as long as I can - I'm a mere babe at 66!

      Delete