Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 May 2018

19th November 1994

19th November 1994 was a very exciting day in my family - it was my father's eightieth birthday and my sister and I threw a surprise party for him.  We had the enthusiastic co-operation of my aunt who lent us her house for the occasion.  All my father's brothers and sisters and mother's brother and sister came, along with their spouses and various cousins and extended family members.  

The party went with a swing and everyone was having a great time but soon after eight o'clock everyone found somewhere to sit and the TV went on.  

The reason?  19th November 1994 was the first National Lottery draw and everyone wanted to see it!

Sadly no-one at the party had a winning ticket.


I can't remember the last time I saw the lottery draw.  Is it still on TV?  I buy a ticket only very occasionally these days.


However, I love to see the way which the lottery has helped so many communities.  In the last village where I lived we got a new village hall, replacing a Second World War army hut.  

Here in Caistor we've got rather an original looking church at the moment.  The outside looks pretty bad but the inside is totally awful.

But I know that in a few months time all will be wonderful

And wonderful can't come soon enough!

3 comments:

  1. Like you I love some of the wonderful community causes the lottery supports but don't buy a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, yes, I remember those early days of excitement. Caistor is such a beautiful little town, a real gem. It looks as though a lot of work is being done, brilliant work by whoever filled in those application forms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perks to villages, from playing the Lottery. Now that is nice!

    And belated Happy Birthday to your father!

    From 'me' who is 81, and from 'he', who is 85!

    Gentle hugs,
    A 'Nana'

    ReplyDelete