Search This Blog

Friday 28 June 2024

H is for Humber Bridge

 


I've driven over it, walked over it, ridden my trundle truck over it and sponsored numerous charity pram pushers to cross it.  It's nearly a mile and a half long and when it was opened in 1981 it was the longest single-span road suspension bridge in the world.  (It is now the twelfth longest.)  

I realised recently that I had never been under it. So I went to visit it again today.  I parked at Far Ings Nature Reserve and from there got on to the top of the levee running either side of the estuary.  After a week of glorious sunshine, that was the moment it started to rain!  Not a deluge, just a drizzle.  Enough to soak me.   But I was determined to go under the bridge.  So I did.  But not for long.  I thought there might be a cafe with a bacon buttie at Far Ings.

Far Ings is a national nature reserve managed by Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.  There are reedbeds, meadow and scrub, freshwater and saltwater.  It's on a major east/west migratory route for birds and it's a breeding site for numerous species including kingfishers, bittern, marsh harrier, bearded tit, Cetti's warbler,  and barn owl.

I couldn't see any of those today as I just sat in the viewing room at the visitors' centre to keep dry.  But there was no cafe or a bacon buttie.

Instead I went to the Humber Bridge Garden Centre which is in an old brickworks.  The ornamental walls are built of local pantiles.  Aren't they lovely? 



And the bacon buttie I had there was lovely too.  

6 comments:

  1. The Humber Bridge brings a huge grin to my face whenever I see it. It is just 'right' in the way that red telephone boxes, spitfires and steam engines are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be going over the Humber Bridge next Saturday on our way to Scarborough for our holiday. My daughter who does the driving for her family does not like it but I don't mind too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people don't like bridges: enjoy the rest of your visit to Scarborough.

      Delete
  3. Now that is one long bridge. I would be closing my eyes and hyperventilating if ever we crossed that one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently a tunnel was considered as an alternative. I'm glad they chose to build a bridge.

      Delete